Text backup (just got replacement phone)Tips

Last Updated:

1. maw4bc

maw4bc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I just got my replacement phone from Asurion and I was wondering if there is any way to get all the old txt messages from my old EVO to the new one? Could they be backed up on the SD card and then put the SD card in the new EVO? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member

Handcent has a backup service now. It will cost you 5 bucks for a year. it does SMS and MMS.

3. maw4bc

thanks for the info, do you know if it would sync from old phone to new? I will do some searching as well

4. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

You could download SMS Backup from the Android market and then move the SD card to the new phone to get the messages over.

5. maw4bc

ok so now here is my issue, I already switched to the new phone. Is there any way to download sms backup through wifi on the old phone even though there is no data connection?

6. maw4bc

I wish there was a way to go through and just select the specific ones that I want. There are 2 conversations (two different people) that I would like to save. Sms backup is cool but it only allows me to back up all the sms, and it takes FOREVER to delete every SMS conversation that I don't want backed up

7. maw4bc

Ok I figured this out on my own, so if anyone else runs in to the same problem as me. Here are the steps:

1. Download "SMS Backup & Restore" from the app store on your old phone (do this before you activate the new phone otherwise its a pain in the butt to go get the APK's, which is what I had to do).

2. Once you download this click the "Backup" button. You can then name the backup whatever you would like. It will go through and back everything up.

3. Mount your old phone to your computer as a disk drive and move the folder titled "SMSBackupRestore" to your desktop, then eject the old phone.

4. Mount your new device to your computer as a disk drive and move the folder "SMSBackupRestore" to your phone drive, eject the new phone.

5. Open the app and click on the Restore button. It will ask you if you want to check for duplicate messages (you won't have any cause the phone is brand new) so hit no.

Depending on how many TXT you have it will take some time to restore them all. I had 9,000+ txt that it had to restore and it took about 20 mins or so to restore all of them.

Hope this helps someone out in the future.
    Cheers,
    Mike

Palmetto Fellow likes this.
  8. AmericanHero

AmericanHero Well-Known Member

Did it get the MMS messages as well?

9. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

It sure does. I was just about to ask how to backup my text messages on teh EVO. I figured there would be a native way to do this since it natively supports exporting your contact's list to the SD for backup.

10. maw4bc

after looking back i dont think it did...not sure how to back those up? I usually save every mms pic to the phone anyways.

11. akazabam

akazabam Well-Known Member

Yeah, SMS Backup & Restore doesn't backup MMS. Personally, I don't particularly care, but for those who do, it looks like this will work (sorta):

SMS Backup + - Android app on AppBrain

From reading the description, it sounds like it will backup MMS attachments. I have no idea if you can restore them like you can with SMS as I've never used this, but it's worth a shot.