text based app launcher?

1. oscardavid

oscardavid New Member

Hello all.

I recently switched to android from iPhone, and I'm quite happy with my Galaxy S2.

While I'm not trying to recreate the iOS experience, there are a couple of things I miss. I've looked everywhere, and can't seem to find the answers.

Mainly, I'd like to have a widget I can type the name of an app and launch it that way instead of having to flip through my application screens.

I love live wallpapers. But I've been wondering if android can be made to use an .html file to set set the homescreen background as in iphone. What that enabled me to do was to have a 'slide show' with different images where i could set the time each image was displayed.

There was a third point... but I've forgotten what it was.. Oh well..

any suggestions appreciated. :)

cheers.

ps, what's a good rom for my phone (Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch)? I don't have any particular issues with the stock rom. But I did root my phone already, so I'm curious to try something different. Thanks again.

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

You might try Google Gesture Search, free in the Market. A little different than what you asked for, but possibly a good alternative. It's pretty handy.

Otherwise, just configure your Google search on the phone to be able to search your apps.

Don't know what to tell you about wallpapers, but this might look OK -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.srsdev.wallpapers
  3. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

The google search widget on your home screen can give you the app along with web searches, contacts, etc. It's very versatile.
  4. oscardavid

oscardavid New Member

Thanks for the responses... I could swear I had tried the google widget before I posted this... I guess I must not have. :)
    But yes, that works nicely for me. If I can figure out the wallpaper, I'll be a happy camper.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

There was an app I used a long time ago that could change the wallpaper to a set picture at a given time. I forgot whats its name was. I think it was Live Picture Wallpaper or something like that.
  6. oscardavid

oscardavid New Member

i found an app that does exactly what i want. it's called 'Web LiveWallpaper.' there's two apps with the same name. The one that seemed most suited is the one with the space in the name (the other one is all one word). tried the free version, but it had no settings.. so i couldn't set the refresh time-- the paid version does allow that. Besides that though, the load times weren't as smooth as I'd hoped. so I ended up going a different route.

I just put an image folder on my external SD card... with 32 gigs of space, i figured might a well.

anyhow, i'm liking the Android experience thus far. Never thought the bigger screen would grow on me so quickly... but my old iPhone seems tiny now.

cheers..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk