text message cloning help

1. blazebd

blazebd Member

Has anyone heard of a way to have a text message sent remotely so it looks like someone's own android device sent a text message (but the owner of the android device did NOT actually send it). The cell carrier claims the text was sent from the device/regularly used towers. How was this done??!! Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Advertisement
    :
  2. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

so let me get this straight. your trying to send a text from phone A with phone B's number? im not too sure but it sounds a little sketchy... i would be careful of that...
    blazebd likes this.
  3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is possible (or legal)
    Crashdamage and blazebd like this.
  4. blazebd

blazebd Member

I'm not trying to do this, it was done to my phone! Sprint claims it had to have been sent from my handset...not possible unless someone broke in while I was asleep! It showed on the bill.
  5. blazebd

blazebd Member

PS, it is like the phone was cloned...can a text be generated from another device (cloned phone/computer, etc.) to make it charge my phone or appear as though it was sent from my device?
  6. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Just curious, do you use Google Voice? If so your sprint number and your GV number are the same.

Someone could have hacked your Google account, sent the message from there, and it would come from your phone's phone number.
  7. blazebd

blazebd Member

Interesting...I do use Google Voice; however, it has a different number (never merged the two) but I did access Google Voice (as a web page to check the GV messages, etc.) from the Sprint phone. Gotta think more about this. Thanks!
  8. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

There are also apps like Mighty Text that when linked to your Gmail account allow you to send texts from your phone via any web browser anywhere in the world. And the text is sent from your phone. Your text app on the phone will show the sent text even if it originated from a browser.
  9. blazebd

blazebd Member

Thanks, but there was nothing in my phone text log/app's history to indicate text messages were sent. They only appeared on the bill. It has to have come from a source that does not show on the phone itself/my text log or app.
  10. Xuthus

Xuthus Well-Known Member

Some carriers have a web text facility where you can use a web browser to send a text as if it was sent from your phone, i.e.the person receiving it sees your number. T-Mobile in the UK offers this and maybe others too. For accounting purposes it is also as if you had sent it from your phone so it comes out of any bundled text allowance. Authentication is via a username/password for their website. If someone broke into .the website or learned your username/password for the website they could send a text that way. On the other hand the carrier should be able to tell if a service such as this was used or if it really did get sent from the phone.

There are also apps for your phone that enable you to send texts from a PC or web browser. What happens in this case is that the PC or web browser sends the text over your LAN or the Internet to the app on your phone and the app then hands it off to the mobile network. If you have such an app installed the link between the PC and app could be hacked to cause a text to be sent that you didn't send. How likely this is depends on the particular apps and what it uses in the way of authentication on the link between PC and app. A .text send this way will not necessarily appear in the text app on your phone.
    blazebd likes this.