Text Message limit 160 Characters ??Support

Last Updated:

1. pman219

pman219 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

With handcent I have had no trouble on other android phones with simply splitting txts over the limit, but I am getting the dreaded "the proceeding message... blah blah blah"

Anyone have any suggestions ?

TYIA

Advertisement
  2. summerfish

summerfish Well-Known Member

So you're getting this error while using Handcent? Or when using the built in SMS?
    I did notice that in the system dump, there is an app called VzwSMS.apk. Maybe this is the reason?

3. pman219

Getting it while using handcent yes.
    I have disabled notifications in the stock app and even tried a force close.

Quite irritating

4. pman219

Are you getting it as well ?

5. pman219

** BUMP **

Anyone else having this issue, or not having this issue ??

6. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

Go into Handcent settings and tell it to split the messages. I had the same problem, for some reason its not defaulted to that on the SF but was on previous phones I had.

7. pman219

I've done this.
    Are you able to receive txt over 160 characters without getting that error message ?

8. hanano17

hanano17 Well-Known Member

No idea, haven't gotten once since I changed it. I'll keep an eye on it.

9. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

The proceeding message thing is a standard Verizon thing. I haven't had issues with telling Handcent to explicitly split them, though.

Is this for both sending and receiving? Is it for sending/receiving to a particular person/phone model? I generally see this issue when messaging between a non-smartphone and a smartphone.

10. pman219

Right now I'm getting it only when receiving from a non-smartphone that is on verizon. But I never got it using the DX or Dinc. Or any Blackberry for that matter ...

11. Ender519

Ender519 Member

I actually know the answer for this. I ran into the same problems a few years ago with a Samsung i760 - funny enough, eh? Maybe it's something about Samsung.. Don't have the problem now on my Touch Pro 2..

This is an explanation I drudged out of many calls to tech support and it's the only one that makes sense. So anyway, when you transfer TXT msgs between carriers i.e. AT&T <--> Verizon, there is a protocol that breaks up msgs to 160 characters automatically. However *within* Verizon they don't use this protocol, so you are now reliant on the phones "profile" within Verizon's systems and whether or not it supports EMS, and if my theory is correct, for whatever reason Samsung smartphones do not.. EMS stands for Enhanced Messaging Service and any text over 160 characters is considered EMS. Note this is entirely different from MMS which you use to send pics/video/etc. It's weird, most dumbphones work just fine, the problem seems to hit only on specific smartphones and I've had quite a few with Verizon over the years.

Go to Answers to FAQs and check out the following:

This pretty much explains the behavior..

12. burningembers

I've experienced this with Moto Q, Droid X, HTC Incredible, and Blackberry - so it isn't just the Fascinate.

It seems like normal behavior, its just awkward and annoying I guess. I don't think anything ever really gets lost.

13. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Well-Known Member

I have a limit on my D1. I use Google Voice only for free texts. I have all texts blocked at VZW (saves $$) and all texts go via my free Google voice phone # linked to my cell #. I can also receive calls via Google to my cell for people like car salesmen who I really don't want to have my regular cell #.

14. pman219

I appreciate the answer.
    So basically there is no work around correct ?

15. Ender519

Ender519 Member

No because this is something that happens before the TXT ever reaches your phone. You get the full message, broken up into 160 character bits, and you both get an annoying TXT that says the preceding message was broken up blah blah blah

This is either because the phone really doesn't support EMS, or Verizons profile of the phone for intranetwork communication doesn't think it supports EMS. Regardless, you're stuck with them apples. The sender has to be aware to stop txt at 160 characters and send or else they'll get that message.

Options are using MMS instead of SMS (which can exceed 160 characters, I think limit is 500?) or using IM instead. I tried getting Verizon to manipulate the profile of my Samsung i760 years back and they wouldn't, and I couldn't get a confirmation if the phone supported EMS or not, so who knows LOL I just run with it.

16. shazbonk

shazbonk Member

I'm getting this on my Fascinate as well. Pretty annoying, and surprised that there is no way around this. I just noticed the "Custom User-Agent" setting within Handcent (says it's to spoof the phone as another device), but it's in the Send message settings so I doubt that will do anything.

17. burningembers

Verizon knows about it, but its considered a "feature", not an issue. So there is no real way around it and no fix coming. It's what you get with texting + Verizon + smartphones/non-smartphones.

For me, this has been an "issue" with every phone I've owned, so its not just the Fascinate :/

18. II Kings 9:20

II Kings 9:20 Well-Known Member

Same issue for my D1, I don'r know if it's 160 but it cuts off and does not allow further typing past a certain point.
    Frankly, if you need to text more than 160 characters, consider sending an email and texting "I just sent you an email". I find this to be very effective.

19. erasmogjr

erasmogjr Member

Can anyone explain this? I get it when my wife sends me a message that is over 160 characters. She is using a droid 2 on verizon and I have never had this problem with any other phones we previously both had the droid and I had an X later and this is the first time i see this.

Attached Files:

20. burningembers

I've only seen that happen when you're sending messages over 160 characters through third-party situations like AIM Mobile. AIM Mobile thoroughly sucks at handling messages over 160. It pretty much chews it up, barfs it out, and passes it on.

If this is a mobile-to-mobile verizon phone to verizon phone with no intermediary, then I have no idea...

21. shazbonk

shazbonk Member

That's the same issue that was already being discussed, isn't it? The person receiving the text gets that message, and the person sending it gets the Enhanced Messaging Service one.

22. burningembers

It was my understanding they are referencing the garbled text, not necessarily the standard Preceding message feedback.

23. pman219

That is the issue I was referring to, but looks like he has the added benefit of garbled text as well.

Looks like this is a samsung issue... too bad, might be a deal breaker for me

24. Ender519

Ender519 Member

Just tested this on my brand spanking new Fascinate, and I am not getting the garbled text, though I am getting the "preceding message" txt back. I am pretty much stock at this point, haven't installed any SMS programs or rooted the phone, so I don't know that it's inherently a problem with the phone.