Text Message Notification on Lock Screen in ICSSupport

Last Updated:

1. dinogami

dinogami New Member

Hi All! - I'm the very happy owner of a brand new Galaxy Nexus with ICS, and I'm loving the phone so far overall! I have two quick questions, though. On my wife's Fascinate (Verizon), whenever she gets a text message and the audio notification, she goes to the lock screen, and there's an option to drag directly to a text message icon (rather than the regular unlock icon) to open directly to the text message. I don't seem to have that on ICS, but that would be a really terrific addition. So my questions are:

(1) Is there a way to enable this feature that I'm not finding? (For that matter, on my wife's Fascinate, I don't actually know if this feature is part of Gingerbread or Verizon's skin on Android...)

(2) If there's not a way to enable this, is there a site I can go to where Google is accepting suggestions for features for future updates and versions of Android?

Thanks very much for any time and help!

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

*moved to Samsung Galaxy Nexus forum*
  3. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

Drop down the status bar and press on the notification
  4. have24

have24 Active Member

I think the OP was wanting to get to messages without having to unlock the phone first.

Back to the OP, I'm pretty sure that you cannot get this to happen in ICS. There may be a future update for it so who knows. There is an app called Widget Locker that I used on my Droid 2 that allows you to to put different apps on your lock screen kind of like the camera on the GN. It's $2.99 but its really nice. You just bought a $200-300 phone so $2.99 isn't all that much. If you have any more questions about Widget Locker feel free to ask.
  5. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

There are also a number of SMS apps that have the sms messages pop-up, and they do indeed popup over the lock screen. I use Handcent SMS, but there are plenty of others that do this as well.

6. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

You don't have to unlock the phone to drop the status bar down ;)
    gunit34328 likes this.
  7. artnsx

artnsx Well-Known Member

Exactly, I noticed that today too, but seriously check out handcent, the pop ups make texting a little easier...you don't have to use the notification bar as much
    gunit34328 likes this.
  8. have24

have24 Active Member

Oh wow...i feel like an *** now. I'm used to my Droid that wouldnt let me do that. Nice to know that.
  9. atrain311

atrain311 Well-Known Member

Also, if you have a message waiting for you when you hit power underneath the slide to unlock tool there will be the three little lines that act as menu in most apps. If you hit that it will take you to the message without unlocking.

Note, I'm using GoSMS, so maybe that is causing the three lines to appear.
  10. wyggles

wyggles Well-Known Member

Does the popup for handcent appear over the lockscreen for you? I have the option enabled but i always have to unlock the phone to get at the popup.
  11. evrafter

evrafter Member

Also, the free messenger Chompsms program has an option that allows you to receive quick reply alerts and replies over the lock screen.
  12. Mr. Orange 645

Mr. Orange 645 Well-Known Member

It's a new feature in ICS. It's nice but I always forget about it and unlock the phone first anyeay.
  13. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

The puzzle piece used to access a text directly from the unlock screen is a feature of Samsung's Touchwiz interface overlay. It isn't a part of any Android build. While it is a cleaver addition, the new lockscreen for ICS is better for accessing more notifications without unlocking the screen first.
  14. kylecummins

kylecummins Well-Known Member

im on gsm gn and i cant pull notification bar down without unlocking phone
  15. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I am also on the GSM version and mine lets me pull down the notification bar while the phone is on the lockscreen. But if I go to settings while in the lockscreen I actually have to unlock the phone for it to let me see the settings, but it is already there after unlocking the phone.

I am on 4.0.1 and build number is ITL41F
  16. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

If you have any of the security locks in place (PIN, pattern, face unlock) it won't allow it for obvious reasons.
  17. Connectz

Connectz Well-Known Member

Im on the Verizon Gnex and you cannot pull down the notification bar while the phone is locked.
  18. Super240sx71

Super240sx71 Member

I can on my Verizon Gnex
  19. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

Read the post right above yours.
  20. MalTron

MalTron New Member

it all depends on the unlock method you are using. if you use slide to unlock you should be able pull down notifications without unlocking.
  21. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Would be really nice if there was at least a vanilla option to turn notification pop ups on and off with the lockscreen. I personally don't want to use a 3rd party app to handle SMS. I used Handcent on my Dinc for a year and a half and I'm sick of it. Come on goog
  22. bu995

bu995 Member

Or you can install "SMS Popup" - it's working like a charm :)
  23. blackyblackguy

blackyblackguy Well-Known Member

I actually like this question because i was also had the same question. Honestly that feature is probably the only thing i like about the new IOS. If anything similar to that is available for ICS id love it
  24. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

Another option might be using something like WidgetLocker, using an ICS unlock theme, and adding the Messaging app to the unlock option (I haven't tried it myself yet)