• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help text message notification sound not working

Have read your suggestion, together with all other suggestions found, but until now, no one of all the tried solution, including yours, gave me my sound back on receiving SMS.
Any one else who have a solution will be appreciated.

Did you try David's suggestion? It seems so silly, but this worked for me and I tried everything!
Go to System Settings > Sound > Volume and increase the slider for notifications. Somehow mine got set to low/off.

Upvote 0
all my other notification and media sounds are working. its just for text message that isn't. and its the only important sound that i actually need to work. my notification bar is on. i even went into setting on messaging and reset it to default. and it didn't work either.

it would be really great if somebody is able to help me with this problem. i dont want to reset/reboot my phone if possible. thanks

Little late, but may help in the future...

If you installed ANYTHING lately and that's about the time your sound stopped working, go to settings, apps, then make sure the notifications are on for anything you recently installed, one by one till it works again... Most likely its Facebook app (on my phone that's what it was, the "Notification" box was unchecked, made sure I checked the notifications and it worked right away... Hope this may help... MJCLEMM...

Upvote 0
Did you try David's suggestion? It seems so silly, but this worked for me and I tried everything!
Go to System Settings > Sound > Volume and increase the slider for notifications. Somehow mine got set to low/off.

HI folks,
I'm brand new to this forum and this is my first post. I will do my best to offer the correct information. I am definitely having the same problem -- no sound or vibration notification when SMS is open. This happened after updating to lollipop on my Sony Xperia Z1. I have been in touch with Sony as well as my service provider. Neither has been helpful. Both seem to think that all the right settings for sound are applied on my phone. Unfortunately, I can't seem to align my settings and menus with what you are referencing in this forum because my phone is different. I even did a reset and repair on my phone, as advised by Sony, to no avail. (more hours of my life I will not get back...) Can anyone help me out? I'm hoping my 'fix' will be something small somewhere in settings, similar to what you folks have described.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the same issue on my Galaxy S3 since Android 4.3, but it's intermittent. Most often the message notification tone starts to play but is cut off almost immediately so I may not hear it. Other times it works fine. I tried all the suggestions here to no avail. My workaround is to set the message notification to repeat every 2 minutes, that way one of the repeat notifications is likely to be audible. It's also handy if a message arrives when the phone is out of earshot, as the tone repeats every 2 minutes until you actually read the message.
Open messaging, press Menu, Settings, Notification Settings, Message Alert Repetition, Every 2 (or 10) minutes.

Upvote 0
all my other notification and media sounds are working. its just for text message that isn't. and its the only important sound that i actually need to work. my notification bar is on. i even went into setting on messaging and reset it to default. and it didn't work either.

it would be really great if somebody is able to help me with this problem. i dont want to reset/reboot my phone if possible. thanks

None of the mentioned options worked for me, and my phone has not had a working ringtone since I deleted the zedge app.

THE FIX: Go into messaging > press menu button > settings > scroll down to 'notification settings' and select your ringtone. (If you used a message tone app in the past it would have not been set to anything once it was removed - therefore causing no tone to be played when you receive a message).

Hope this is helpful to someone :)

Upvote 0
actually just figured it out, go to message>menu>settings> storage settings> make sure 'delete old messages' box is UNCHECKED .... some kind of glitch
That fixed it for me!... until next time.
As for everyone I assume, whatever the fix, the glitch will come again in future, after I have forgotten this, so I will again miss a number of important dates and lose time again before finding the fix again.
A real fix would be to get Google so-called "developers" (don't laugh please) to think before they write... which is hopeless, as is known from anyone who happens to have tried to tell something to Google.
The problem is, Google insists putting all notifications behind a single sound tune and setting. So when you are in theater or church and the sound starts, making your face red in front of the whole assembly, you spend way too long before finding the stop (hidden in a non-guessable place as everything Google does), so next time you simply cut the sound by any way you find. Some of these ways involve resetting the notification sound volume to level 0, as usual without your knowing or accepting. Which takes you in another round of meetings missed, solution search on Google, losing time again and again, for something which should be so obvious and simple that even Microsoft has been able to keep it working correctly for 2 or 3 decades.
Versailles, Thu 11 Feb 2016 18:2o:00 +0100

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with my note 5, text notifications didn't come thru.... I found the solution!!
Settings>sounds & notification> app notifications> messages... and in their un-block notifications... some how it gets blocked. I went a week with out my messages working and this is what I figured out and it worked for my phone :)!! Good luck to the rest of you!!

Upvote 0

Got it! I've been having the same problem all weekend. Go to General Settings>Notifications> A list of all apps on your phone with notification options will appear. Scroll down to the Message app and ensure it is switched to On. For some reason out of all the other apps on my list it was the only one switched off. But as soon as I switched it on, my notification sounds for text messages started working again. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Go to settings/applications/ application manager then scroll down to messeges,go into it, once in go to notifications and turn it on, worked for me, i have no idea how it was turned off but it was, hope this helps

Reactions: Beeprecious
Upvote 0

Upvote 0

Go to settings/applications/ application manager then scroll down to messeges,go into it, once in go to notifications and turn it on, worked for me, i have no idea how it was turned off but it was, hope this helps

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem since the latest update (samsung galaxy S6) I have tried a lot .. including deleting old messages etc .. changes the tone sound .. and still nothing .. but I found my issue at least .. Went to Settings > Notifications ( not sounds and tones ) Wait for all the apps to load up .. for some reason the messages app was switched off .

Upvote 0

Had the same thing happen over the last few days. Changing sound settings did not work.

Do this: GO to Settings, GO to Device, GO to Notifications, Select Messages and turn back to ON. Mine were turned off, probably by some updated app setting.

Screenshot_20160713-172428.png

Upvote 0
None of the above fixes have worked on my S5 Mini. However, I read somewhere else that since the last update there is no notification sound for text messages if the message app / thread is open. So I tried it out. Well for some reason I get sound notification for incoming texts if my app is closed. But I sent a text to a friend and asked them to reply, I left the message app open after sending my text, and I got the reply text but no sound. Not happy!

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
If the settings fix above does not work
I have another solution:
First, thanks to one of the suggestions about checking settings to other apps. That is what got my wheels turning. Go to Settings> Application Manager > Messages [app] . There you may see more settings like a notification slide that may be off. Also "Priority" to ring, etc. Correcting those settings is how I got my Samsung 6 to work. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

If This is still a problem for some people, then you may want to try this: "Settings," then "Notifications," and make sure the app for messages has the slider in the on position. This worked for me! This is a notification setting and not a sound or message setting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones