text message privacySupport

Last Updated:

1. yesenia

yesenia New Member This Topic's Starter

is there a way to hide the context of my text messages on the HTC Evo?

Advertisement
  2. scmobileman

scmobileman Well-Known Member

In what way? Would you like to put a passcode on the message app?

3. SolApathy

SolApathy Just another robot Guide

Handcent SMS application.

Grab it. Grab all the addons. The options you are looking for are found under Security & Privacy. You can setup a pass code & blacklists. In addition under the Notification settings you can tell it to never notify you about texts from anyone, or from a specific person.

4. Thebusiness1906

Thebusiness1906 New Member

Ok, I downloaded the app, but how do i stop the text from going to the pre loaded message area because it goes to both.:mad:

5. JMac202

JMac202 Well-Known Member

Its pointless because it uses the default messaging app to work. So all someone has to do is open the default messaging app and bam all the texts you backlisted are there and the passcode is obsolete as well

6. EVOeli

EVOeli Active Member

go into your pre loaded message app and go into settings and uncheck received notification and sent notification, now it will still go to both apps, but it will only show that you received it in handcent.

7. MzBedrock

MzBedrock New Member

it there a way that you can hide ur txt messages by using a different app on ur home screen, one of my friends hides his txt msg under a calculator and jus puts in a password.

8. XikkeN

XikkeN Well-Known Member

I believe if you used LauncherPro, you could change the icon and rename it to something else.

9. makisupa79

makisupa79 Well-Known Member

OP's down with OPP?

10. Munnarg

Munnarg Well-Known Member

Why must is always be something shady? The OP could simply not like people looking at their texts, like I do. Nothing like people asking to see your phone and then scrolling through your shit. You can give AndLock a try as it locks specific functions of the phone as you designate.

11. Drew5150

Drew5150 Well-Known Member

App protector App Protector Lite - Android app on AppBrain

Someone else posted that a week ago or something. I have never used it. There are a few In the market If you search app protector.

I just have custom Icons for everything with no text label. When I hand my phone out to someone to check it out, it usually comes back in a few seconds with "I don't know how to use this" Lol

12. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

I have yet to figure out how to hide incoming texts from showing up on the home screen. I can password protect texts and all sorts of other things but can not "hide" incoming texts. I like being notified that I have a text but I don't need a preview of who its from and what it says.

13. FestoKGB

FestoKGB Well-Known Member

I use Handcent SMS instead of the stock app and I just turn off the pop up view. All I get is the audible notification (which can be turned off as well) and the icon in the notification bar.

14. mcl1981

mcl1981 Well-Known Member

Deleting them after you read them is probably the best bet since any other method is a half-assed partial bandaid. If you don't want mommy and daddy to find out you're smokiing 3 bushells of weed a day and hooking up with all the loose women at school, don't leave the messages on the phone.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  15. slash2000

slash2000 New Member

Try Shady, Vaulty or SPC. I use SPC and it's pretty cool. I still can't figure out how to get the standard notification not to show, but the hiding of messages/phone calls is great. Shady is cool because it doesn't show up as an app -- you just dial "1, 2, 3" on your dial pad and it opens the app!

There's also another app called Hide it Pro. it shows up as "audio manager" in your launcher and allows you to hide images and/or video clips.

I didn't create any of these, but i read thru this thread and couldn't believe no one has mentioned these apps yet.

16. CrashRhin0

CrashRhin0 Member

Alright, for those of you interested:

Download HandCent and get the latest updates.

Once you do that, go into your stock Messaging app and put, "do not notify" but make sure ot still have it automatically retrieve messages.

Now go into your Handcent app, and menu --> settings --> privacy. You can set privacy to both Handcent/Stock Messaging app, once this is done, you can either set handcent to never notify you, and you check it once in a while, or leave the notifications settings alone, and hope no one reads the first 1.5 lines of the text.

TL;DR -
    Disable Notifications on stock messenger. Install Handcent. Set security to cover both. ???? Profit!

17. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I simply love the fact that one of them is called "Shady" :cool: