1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

text message ringtoneSupport

1. oxomcfc

oxomcfc Well-Known Member

how do u personalize message tones with your own ringtone.cheers

Advertisement
    :
    tolulope and rtm45 like this.
  2. alee

alee Member

There are a few ways to do this, depending on the program you use. If you are using the built in messaging program, go to settings-sound & display-Notification sound.
    From there, you can set your default notification sound. If you want to use your own ringtone, made from an mp3 the easiest way is to download ringdroid from the market, create the notification from an mp3 on your memory card, but be sure to save it as a notification, and not a "ringtone."

This can also be done by opening up the messaging application, pressing menu, selecting settings, scroll down to notification settings and select sound.

Either way, create the notification sound using ringdroid first.
    LuciferAnn and rtm45 like this.
  3. oxomcfc

thanks for the reply but can u take me step by step on how to get a tone that i have downloaded from ringdroid on to a message alert tone,i am still struggling thanks
  4. stukyle

stukyle New Member

I made a ringtone with ringdroid and I was able to set it for my calls. Then I resaved it and set it as my default for notifications. But when I get a text message all it does is beep. How do I get it to play my ringtone when I get a text message?
  5. steadramon

steadramon New Member

Make a folder in the root of your SD card called "notifications", pop your MP3 tones in there for SMS and other notifications. A folder called alarms is for alarm tones and ringtones, well you guessed it.

You may need to restart for the tones to show.
    mali01 likes this.
  6. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Ringroid in conjunction with Ringo Lite works wonders.
  7. oxomcfc

steadramon i am really thick 1st,how do u make a folder in the root of your sd card,i need step by step instructions would be really grateful if u could help
  8. steadramon

steadramon New Member

Plug your phone into your PC.
    Go to the SD card (E:\ on my machine)
    Make a new folder called notifications - so E:\notifications\
    Copy your MP3 tones into the new folder.
  9. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

One you plug your phone into your PC, an notification will appear on your phone saying 'USB connected'. Click the notification and press the 'Mount' button that appears in the message box. This will now allow you to access your SD card from your PC liek you would and USB drive.
  10. oxomcfc

thanks i have done this and it has worked
  11. stukyle

stukyle New Member

Thanks for the responses. I have one more question. How do you assign .dm files as ringtones? I downloaded some from myxer and they show up in my music but not in ringdroid or anywhere else. thanks
  12. jdog6069

jdog6069 New Member

I am wondering the same thing. I have sent a ringtone via text and it does not show up in the ringtone list. Any suggestions?
  13. auntkaykay

auntkaykay New Member

i just bought the htc hero and i want to download my own ringtones and set them as my text message alert and other alerts. its only giving me the option to set a phone ringer or contact. can someone give me step by step on what to do. like i said im new on this phone, its a lot different from the palm centro. i seen others talking about ringdroid, i downloaded it but unsure what im suppose to do with it, etc. i woud really really appreciate someones help. thank you.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  14. Kcmocpl420

Kcmocpl420 New Member

i have the htc hero. how do u personalize text tones with your own ringtone...per contact? ex. if i wanted to use a tupac song when my brother texted me. but i wanted to use a wayne newton song when my other brother texted me for his notification. i know how to use them for call ringtones, no problems there. thanks everyone!
  15. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

The way I always recommend

1. Plug the USB into the phone and into your PC

2. Drag the notification bar down (Drag the clock down from the top of your screen)

3. Click 'USB Conected' and then 'mount'

• 3.1 On your PC click to view your phone folders
    • 3.2 In your SD card make a new folder called 'media'
    • 3.3 Inside the 'media' folder add a folder named 'audio'
    • 3.4 inside the audio folder add 3 folders 'ringtones','notifications' and 'alarms'

4. Select the mp3's you want to use and put them in coresponding folders

• notifications folder for message tones
    • ringtones for ringtones
    • alarms for alarm tones

5. Switch your phone off and back on. the ringtones will be found in the default tone menus

**NOTE-KEEP CASE AS I HAVE TYPED IT AND ANYTIME YOU ADD NEW TONES REMEMBER TO SWITCH YOUR PHONE OFF AND BACK ON**

Need anymore in depth information feel free to PM me
    wardfan likes this.
  16. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

You already asked this in a thread and it has been answered there!!!!:D:D
  17. sexyc

sexyc New Member

YOu hook your phone up to the computer...mount the usb...open the phone on your computer click on the media, then audio, then notifications, anything you want to use as a notification ring tone needs to be placed in this folder.
  18. crazyboarder1685

crazyboarder1685 New Member

I see the response to how to create a notification tone, but I don't see how to assign it to individual contacts. Is that even possible?
  19. saboorlatif

saboorlatif Member

HI,I tried this by making a new folder and pasting mp3 ringtone there but i couldnt trace the notification folder on my phone or the ringtone.kindly help
  20. saboorlatif

saboorlatif Member

I did the same making 3 folders and selecting a mp3 tone in the notification folder but i dont get the tone when i receive the message.i have htc desire.
  21. Jacabus

Jacabus New Member

I tried everything I could to get this to work, and I finally figured it out.

I have an HTC Hero and the folders for notifications weren't working for me. I figured out how to do it.

1. Mount your phone to the computer.
    2. Open the folder to view files.
    3. Create "media" folder, then "audio" folder within that, followed by 4 folders:
    -Notifications
    -Sounds
    -Ringtones
    -Alarms
    4. Put any mp3 you wish to use for your text messages into "sounds"
    5. Remove phone from computer.
    6. On your phone, go to your messages (where you get all your text messages).
    7. Hit menu on your phone.
    8. Go to settings.
    9. Scroll down under notification settings.
    10. Go to "select sound"
    11. Select the song you put on there.

It worked for me!
    rnbows81 likes this.
  22. rnbows81

rnbows81 New Member

Im stuck when you tell me to look for sd card folder, cannot find it!! if i dont have one can i make one? how? i found the sd card folder on my phone in applications tho.
  23. rnbows81

rnbows81 New Member

OmG!! I just got the merge, i am a complete dummy to it, i read all of these quotes, trying to find out how i can save my ringtones saved on my computer and send them to my phone's notifications.
    You said it perfectly, and I did it
    thank you soooo much

XoXo @Jacabus
    I have an HTC Hero and the folders for notifications weren't working for me. I figured out how to do it.

1. Mount your phone to the computer.
    2. Open the folder to view files.
    3. Create "media" folder, then "audio" folder within that, followed by 4 folders:
    -Notifications
    -Sounds
    -Ringtones
    -Alarms
    4. Put any mp3 you wish to use for your text messages into "sounds"
    5. Remove phone from computer.
    6. On your phone, go to your messages (where you get all your text messages).
    7. Hit menu on your phone.
    8. Go to settings.
    9. Scroll down under notification settings.
    10. Go to "select sound"
    11. Select the song you put on there.

It worked for me![/QUOTE]
  24. championc

championc Member

Is there any way to set a tone / alert for the SENDING of an SMS Text message. I'd like to set a sort of Zap or Laser tone to sound whenever I send a text just as a good audible confirmation that the message was sent.

Cormac
  25. mrjaybomb

mrjaybomb New Member

Anyone know if theres a program or somthing you can do to change the notification sound for individual contacts? I see theres ringer but nothing for text /notifications