text message ringtonesSupport

Last Updated:

1. StephR210

StephR210 Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone know how to change the ringtone for text messages to one of my saved music/media files? There is no option for it.

Advertisement
  2. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

You have to connect your phone to PC, go into the root of your SD card (by selecting MountSD), open up Media----->Audio------>Notifications - drop the file in there.

PS....Use Ringtone Trimmer to create a 30sec file and it works great ;)

3. StephR210

Thanks, Do you know if I can set different text message ringtones for different contacts?

4. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

It is detailed in this post

EDIT: This is for ringtones...I do not believe this can be done, but anyone else know?

5. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah that link is for ringtones which is easily done. I'm not aware that individually text tones is available which sucks because dumbphones have this ability. Im sure this can be done, sooner or later but as of now no go

6. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

It is easily done on the Motorola Android devices on Handcent SMS. I haven't figured out how to do it on the Fascinate yet. :(

7. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Whoever does figure it out has a lot of thanks coming his or her way ;)

8. StephR210

I searched and searched and I can't find a way to do it! ughhh :mad:

9. saps

saps Well-Known Member

None of us have.....yet

10. Batt1719

Batt1719 Well-Known Member

The Custom SMS app works ok, but not always. Which really sucks because I'm on call with a SWAT team and we use text message for notification and I need a really loud tone just for when my dispatch center sends out the call. If anbody can shine some light on this please do. Will FROYO enable this?

11. Agapens

Agapens Active Member

Ringdroid will do it for ya. I just tried it. Just save the selection as a Notification and it shows up in the list.

12. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yes that works for adding new notifications but not assigning individual notifications to individuals contacts which is what we're all chasing

13. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

I use Ringdroid. Open it, find the MP3, cut it however you want, save it, and then go to change it and it will be in the choices.

14. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Again, we are talking about individual text notifications for individual contacts. Yes Ringdroid enables adding both ringtones and notifications and yes they are available as a choice. But that choice remains the choice for all contacts. This really has more to do with the device itself rather than a third party app

15. Agapens

Agapens Active Member

And you're opposed to using Handcent? The option for individual contact notifications still works with it.

saps likes this.
  16. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Gotcha yeah you are very right that it does work there. Was trying to see if it worked with the default messaging app but since Im ditching everything else I might as well actually use Handcent :rolleyes:
    Good stuff agapens thanks :)

17. fegriffith

fegriffith Well-Known Member

I have a custom ringtone associated with my traffic.com alert contact. I set the contact up on the PHONE (not through Gmail), then assigned a custom ringtone (2 car-horn beeps). Now whenever I get my morning email alert into my Google account from traffic.com the notification is two car horn beeps. All other notifications from that account default to my standard alert notification (bubbles). So since it works for email, are you sure it won't work for texts?

18. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah by default the email and gmail apps allow you to customize email notification sounds, the messaging app does not. I guess I will get used to Handcent, its quite good actually

19. Batt1719

Batt1719 Well-Known Member

The problem with Handcent is that it doesn't work well with Buddies Now or the puzzle unlock screen. I just hope somebody creates a good app or a future upgrade via update.

20. saps

saps Well-Known Member

What do you mean it doesnt work with the puzzle unlock screen? I use Handcent and the puzzle. :confused:

21. Agapens

Agapens Active Member

I believe he's saying that Handcent does't cause a puzzle piece to appear on the puzzle lock screen indicating a new message.

22. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Technically no, but Handcent can override that and you can configure it [I even think its by default] that if in sleep mode a received text will wake the phone up and you get the message without unlocking per se. Some might not like it but I do

23. basketball23

basketball23 New Member

I found a way where you can set ring tones for text messages on the samsung fascinate, it took me awhile, but I found it. Download the ring tone app named "Myxer" and choose whatever song you want, they are free by the way and so is the app, and when you get to where you save it, look where it says "ring tone" and press the thing beside it for the drop down menu and then change it to notifications and there you go! :) Hope I helped anyone.

FairyTaleDream likes this.
  24. laurenamelia

laurenamelia New Member

It would seem as though the Ringo Lite app allows you to set individual text tones and ringtones to individual contacts. Works for me.

25. Ragdoll21

Ragdoll21 New Member

When you save the song you have to save it as a notification rather than as a ringtone then you will be able to use it for your text message tone.