Text message scrolling issues?Support

Last Updated:

1. ahnoff

ahnoff Active Member This Topic's Starter

I think this is a touchscreen problem. I've noticed that has happened with long lists of text messages:

When i try to scroll up to older messages, the screen will automatically jump back down to the most recent messages at the bottom while my finger is still on the screen. Even though the older messages are definitely there, the screen won't let me scroll up any further. I've tried rebooting (which seems to solve the problem for about 30 seconds) without much prolonged success.

I've also tried setting the phone on a table where i can be sure no other part of my hand is touching it, and using a single finger. Same problem. It's driving me bonkers because i need to re-read some older text messages.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm thinking I'll try to exchange my phone when RadioShack gets more stock in.

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

One post is enough.

I would try a hard reset first, before you take it back, as it sounds like a software issue.

3. ahnoff

I hardly think 2 posts is going overboard but point taken. :cool: My original post wasn't getting any love at all (I'm the only one that viewed it) in the Problems section. All anybody wants to talk about is battery issues (which I also am having, incidentally).

I'll try a hard reset eventually, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to try right off the bat with it wiping out my texts. It'll take awhile to rebuild and figure out if the problem indeed has been solved.

In the meantime, anyone else also having this problem? If anyone has a free second to help a brother out, could you try scrolling up in a longer SMS thread a few times to see if they're having the same problem? I'd greatly appreciate it.

4. WordIsBorn

WordIsBorn Well-Known Member

Can you just download a different text messaging app. like handcent? That might be a good fix for now, and you might just like it better.

5. WordIsBorn

WordIsBorn Well-Known Member

After thinking about it, I have a similar issue in the browser. If I am slowly moving my finger up the screen it will zoom-in instead of scrolling up. Cant be sure that it is the same issue, but seems like it could be related. can you just flip your finger to scroll, or will it do the same thing?

6. Existence

Existence Well-Known Member

Mine did this the other day. I just held the power button down and turned it off then back on. Have not had the problem since. I also removed ATK as well as it made my android o.s. run at like 75% of my battery. After that was removed it is now down to 48% which is a lot better.

7. ahnoff

Yeah it seems to have calmed down and stopped doing it now for some reason. It would happen whether it was just a "flick" or a full "drag" motion.

But yeah, i experience the weird multitouch issues on my browser and in google maps. This was an issue with my droid as well... when they instituted multitouch "pinch" and "spread" motions they weren't always very accurate when you tried to take your hands off the screen.

8. Josh3212

Josh3212 New Member

I'm having this same problem and it's been going on for a long time. I tried resetting the phone, and also removing the battery for a while (at the suggestion of sprint support) which also did not help. How did you get this to go away? Thanks!

9. Blaze312

Blaze312 Member

I am having this exact same issue. Whenever I open a text message chain and try to scroll through it, it will scroll up a few messages, and then instantly scroll back to the bottom. making it impossible for me to check the history of my old messages.

please help someone!

10. mapan83

mapan83 Active Member

I just tried to scroll up through my messages using the stock SMS program. I didn't count how many text messages I have in one thread but as I scrolled I did not get an option for older messages. The last message I have is from 6/11/10 but I may have deleted the thread at some point.

11. Blaze312

Blaze312 Member

Lets try to narrow this down. I am using my phone mainly for texting. I have my contacts linked to facebook. Those of your not having this issue do you link your phone to facebook?

I'm noticing that that my 3G is almost constantly in use. The problem seems to be happening when this is in use. If I connect to wifi, instead of using 3G, this problem goes away.

12. Marco Cordero

Marco Cordero Member

I think I found a fix to the scrolling problem with text messages using the HTC messaging app. I haven't tried it with the E-mail software, but it may work just the same. Try this and let me know if it works:

1. Go to your "People" button and open your "My Contact Card" (the one at the top of the list with your name).
    2. Press the Menu button, then click Edit.
    3. Now, click on your Photo and change it to whatever. After you do this, it should be fixed.

My theory is that the text messaging app glitches when your "My Contact Card" photo isn't set correctly. I noticed that my picture kept disappearing and reappearing and now that is fixed, too.

13. Jonhern

Jonhern Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip, noticed the picture flickering too whenever I opened a text thread, that has been fixed. Will have to wait and see if it fixes the scrolling glitch which I have been having.

14. Marco Cordero

Marco Cordero Member

If you have glitches with other people, try editing their contacts to Link the Facebook Contact with the Google Contact, so you only have one photo associated with each name.

This glitch seems directly related to displaying people's photos next to their names. If we make things more simple for the Messaging app it seems to prevent the glitch from occurring.

Marco

15. Blaze312

Blaze312 Member

The contact i was having particular problem with I tried your method of changing the contact card. I set my card to have no picture, i set the contact to not be linked to either facebook or google. just her number in the phone.

i still have this issue... id think this could be a text chain too long issue, but the fact that it happens while in the People app too makes it seem unlikely.

im still stumped.

16. Blaze312

Blaze312 Member

I think I fixed it. Go into settings go into the Syncing stuff.

Turn off the facebook autosyncing. I had mine set to 2 hours, but multiple people have confirmed they tried to change theirs to all day, and it still syncs multiple times a day.

I found that when i turned this off, and then rebooted the phone my problems have so far gone away.

I know the facebook sync feature is a cool option, but it is using substantial amounts of your bandwidth as well as battery life. Yesterday I checked my phone and had used 256mb of data, today (after not using my phone other then to send a couple of text messages) it has now used 512mb.

I will be syncing manually from now on I guess, until they resolve this contact/messaging glitch that seems to be caused by facebook syncs.

17. dsm1824

dsm1824 New Member

Just had this issue with a droid2. was resolved by uninstalling task panel. do you have anything like ATK or task panel installed?