• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text messages are timed weird

agargs88

Lurker
Aug 16, 2012
Not sure what is going on with my phone, but suddenly now when I send a text to someone it appears in my conversation with them with the correct time that I sent it. However, when I get response, it appears above mine in the conversation, sometimes several messages above. The time that it says I received their message is also timestamped anywhere between 20 minutes and 2 hours prior to the one I sent.

For example:

A: Hi (4:03pm)
B: What's up? (4:05pm)
A: Not much, you? (4:07pm)

The next message appears above my reply, so like:

A: Hi (4:03pm)
B: What's up? (4:05pm)
B: Nothing really (2:06pm)
A: Not much, you? (4:07pm)

What is going on!? Any ideas?

I had a customer complain about the same thing here.

They just bought a phone from me.
It left my store with 2.3.4, Came back with 2.3.6 on it.
So I'm guessing it did an FOTA.

I think this update messed up the SMS sequence somehow. I am going to be really pissed off at Samsung if they come back and return this phone all because of this absurd nonsense. X_X

Upvote 0
Has anyone noticed or complained about phone screen flashing on and off randomly? My phone has had the screen going in and out while in standby for the last hour or so. I also noticed that today I had about 20 or more Emergency broadcast check texts sent to my phone. I am wondering if they are working on something to replace the icq or whatever its called spy file they had to remove in this update. Just a thought cause this stuff is just weird thats happening all of a sudden.

Upvote 0
Boost reps don't have a clue most of the time. My wife's phone is updated to 2.3.6 and mine is still on 2.3.4. We can both be sitting next to each other on the couch and text back and forth (it's easier to talk that way sometimes when you have kids LOL) and her phone receives messages out of order, mine does not. We do this A LOT and never had this problem before she updated her phone.

Upvote 0
I can confirm the weird emergency broadcast text. I happened be lookin at my phone, when it showed up in my push notification bar. Then it majically disappeared, no message left in my messages either. I had heard the gov had asked for an inside line to our phones, but this creeps me out a bit.
Also, my texts have a different issue since update, I get a error code for a few of my contacts now about having to use (10 digit #) whether they have area code or not... boost & samsung are clueless & reckemend a factory reset? I asked the tech wizards, how that fixs an os update??? Such genius they have anwsering the phones.

Upvote 0
I too got the Emergency broadcast check texts sent to my phone and I am on Sprint. I don't remember if I deleted the message or Avast asked to allow or block this unknown text (I just activated this feature) or it disappeared by itself because it did not get added to the daily SMS backup. I don't have any of the updates and the OTA feature has been blocked. Have not received anything since. I have had a feeling about the removal of the carrier IQ and if they would try to gain information. Kinda like the WiFi tether/foxFi sending a text to the boost users.

Upvote 0
My phone was doing the same mis-timed text messaging thing a couple months ago too. I had a waterlogged phone weeks earlier and thought it was suffering from some delayed after effects as a result.

I put up with it for a day or so and then downloaded the GoSMS app and that fixed it right away. Also as a result, the times started showing correctly in the standard messaging app as well. I can use the standard app without problem, but still use GoSMS for now.

I didn't see anyone post a resolution, so if you're still having problems try that. If it fixed itself for everyone else, I guess it was just a temporary Boost problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones