Text messages have disappeared!

Last Updated:

1. golder

golder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Everytime someone sends me messages in a short space of time (for example 3 texts within 10 minutes), I can read the messages on the handcent sms popup. But when I go into handcent sms or even the default sms software, not all the messages are there! I got an important sms message, thought I'd check it later, but now it's gone. I'll have to ask them to resend it which is quite embarrassing because "my new phone can't handle sms's that fast".

Advertisement
  2. golder

golder Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone?

3. rioja

rioja Guest

Wish I could help, but I suffer from similar issues too. I seem to receive my messages but a lot of them are empty without any text. It has to be a bug in the Android OS.

I use the default Messages app, so I doubt it's a handcent problem. Plus my text messages have been 100% reliable for years on other phones with my carrier.

4. gillbee

gillbee Member

Same issue here. Read up a few places and it does appear to be an os issue. If I try and read a message as soon as it arrives it seems to then disappear. Handcent seem to be working on a fix but from what I've read this issue is not particular to their software.
    This is the biggest issue I have with the phone and I'm surprised it isn't higher profile. Data loss if it continues will be the end of this handset for me.
    Does anyone know if this is HTC hero specific or an android os problem across the board?

5. gillbee

gillbee Member

Apologies for the double post.

Same issue here. Read up a few places and it does appear to be an os issue. If I try and read a message as soon as it arrives it seems to then disappear. Handcent seem to be working on a fix but from what I've read this issue is not particular to their software.
    This is the biggest issue I have with the phone and I'm surprised it isn't higher profile. Data loss if it continues will be the end of this handset for me.
    Does anyone know if this is HTC hero specific or an android os problem across the board?

6. starfarer

starfarer Member

Try this:

Open Handcent-> settings from menu
    sms receive settings-> click sms retrieve setting
    scroll down to Auto-retrieve and put "check" on box

a little further down there's also Self-Check. Description is " when receive the message make sure it saved". Check that too.

If you want, can disable similar on native sms client.

Hope this will work if I'm understanding the problem correctly.

7. gillbee

gillbee Member

Thanks for the info. Have changed the settings so fingers crossed this works.

8. TheJock

TheJock Well-Known Member

Out of interest, what build number are you all running, i have had similar problems when on the original 1.7 build, just recently upgraded to new orange rom 2.73.

I havent put any sms programs on for the moment just using stock program.

I did this upgrade under the dubious instructions from htc support saying it would clear the fault, been honest i am not convinced, i think they were just wanting to clear the call and any suggestion would do.

I dont get a great deal of texts but have had a few and no missing ones to date, but no where near enough to prove this fixes it.

Anyone else running on latest rom had this problem?

Jock

9. gillbee

gillbee Member

I'm on 1.73 build. It's an un branded handset. Still testing out of my sms issue os fixed ny the settings posted. Will update In a few days once I've done more testing.

10. PerCompLLC

PerCompLLC Well-Known Member

Worked perfectly for me! Thank you very much! +1

11. gillbee

gillbee Member

No more lost messages for me over the last few weeks for me.