• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text Messaging - Commas appear between letters

crlogan

Lurker
Jul 24, 2011
I have a Samsung Transform and occasionally when I open Messaging and attempt to send a new message everything goes haywire. I will start typing the recipients into the "To" box and after each letter I enter a comma appears. This is very frustrating because it takes some effort to fix and/or work around. After a few letters it might stop but often I have to exit messaging and start over again.

Example:

If i were to type: erica

The result in the "To" box would be: e,r,i,c,a

It is almost like it thinks that each letter i enter is a full name of a contact stored in the phone so it automatically adds a comma like I should be on to the next name. I have seen others with this same issue in some other forums, namely Sprint, but have not seen a satisfactory answer. I appreciate any help that can be provided.

It only happens in text messaging in "TO" field. It does not happen in email or any other application that i am aware of.

I am not entering the names in all caps or anything that i would expect as unusual. Like i said, this issue doesnt happen all of the time. Not sure what happens when I just enter a 10 digit phone number since I almost never do this.

Input method being used is the QWERTY keybord.

The phone is running:

Android version 2.2.2

Kernal Version 2.6.32.9

Build Number FROYO.EB28

This issue has always happend since i can remember but i have just dealt with it along the way. I have had the phone for about 6 months or so.

This is a software issue. When you need to send something to someone, press the 'New Message' button and then wait about 5 seconds or so, that's what I always have to do. This is because the phone is still in a way 'loading up' the messaging application still, because the messaging app needs to sync with the contacts app. When they're both not given time to load up your phone basically says "Derp." And does whatever it wants lol.

Reactions: crlogan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones