• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text messaging issues

Have already posted on AT&T forum and another android forum and this forums actually seems to have the most active skyrocket posters around so thought I should also try here. Been with AT&T forever. Decided to get a Vivid in November and aside from a couple other issues I was receiving out of order texts and texts in triplicate. After reading the forums I came to learn it was an issue with that phone others were having and traded in for the skyrocket which I have had since mid December. Love this phone for the most part except for issues I have had with text messages. First of all I live in a LTE market, not sure if this makes a difference with this issue or not. There are 4 other household members in my home who have other smart phones but none of the other phones are LTE (iPhones, blackberry and atrix). Most of my texting is done to family members on AT&T but I do routinely text a friend on sprint and another on Verizon. Have not had a missed text that I am aware of from them. About a week after getting the phone some of my text messages to family members fail. Usually I can resend and they will get the message. This issue continues to happen on occasion. Sometimes the message will say it failed and they actually have received it. This last week or two a new texting problem has started where I can be texting on and off throughout the day with my husband or son and I won't receive a text from them, though on their end itbhas shown as sent. Last night my husband texted a photo to 4 people on our same plan and we were in the same house and I was the only one not to receive it. FYI I am using the standard messaging app. Anyone here having this issue, because on the AT&T forum there were several recent posts from other skyrocket owners with similar issues. Thanks!

Yes I know the sim is correct because when I had the sim in my vivid I called and talked to at&t to confirm. I then brought my phone into at&t after the system restores etc didn't help with the vivid and ultimately switched to the skyrocket which I have had since mid December. All seemed ok for the first week and first started with the failed messages, then I knew I wasn't getting texts because I have running conversations through text with my immediate family throughout the day and when they wouldn't reply to something I asked, or I would respond to something and it made no sense because I had missed a text in between. I am in Chicago area which was one of the first areas with LTE too... So odd.

Upvote 0
This could be an issue with your plan. Is your plan properly set up for lte with an lte sim?

Called AT&T just now and I do have a LTE sim and set up on a LTE plan, they didn't have the current IMEI ( think they might have done that at the AT&T corporate store when I swapped the vivid for the skyrocket). They sent texts and called me and said all was well. I asked them to please make sure that document it well because I know I am not the only skyrocket owner with the issue from 2 other forums. We will see!

Upvote 0
Called AT&T just now and I do have a LTE sim and set up on a LTE plan, they didn't have the current IMEI ( think they might have done that at the AT&T corporate store when I swapped the vivid for the skyrocket). They sent texts and called me and said all was well. I asked them to please make sure that document it well because I know I am not the only skyrocket owner with the issue from 2 other forums. We will see!

interesting indeed...the imei typically auto updates within a few hours

I will definitely suggest checking that in the future.

do keep me posted on how things go from this point forward

Upvote 0
The 2 people whose messages I have not gotten this week have a blackberry and Atrix. Already had another failed message today. That I can handle it is the not getting texts that bothers me. Will post again if I continue not to get them, and will be taking a drive then back to AT&T, though i did the upgrade mid November to the vivid and the skyrocket mid December so best they would probably do is swap it for another skyrocket?

Upvote 0
That is happening to my wife as well.

Have you noticed any specifics regarding signal when this happens?

For instance...when my wife has her phone on one side of her desk she has issues...and she has no or little signal. If she has it on the other side everything works fine.

No, have not thought about looking at that all. Does your phone duplicate that in those same two areas of her desk?

Upvote 0
Net. Strength

SC20120112-145336.png

Another neat trick with this app is to hit menu and cell location. It will show you what tower you are connected to (unless LTE...those are not in the database yet)

Reactions: Iamdunne
Upvote 0
Noticed something interesting today...I lost data a few times and had to reboot to get it back.

In troubleshooting I found that I left wifi on and anytime I passed a art wifi signal OR a location with my same router (I kept the generic name) my phone would

A. Connect to the att spots briefly
B. Attempt connection to these other routers

Resulting in all sorts of data issues.

Our phones do not appear to like frequent on off radio usage ie Bluetooth wifi and cell lte radios prefer a more constant connection. Things get whack otherwise.

May not be related but thought I would share

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
Did a phone reset today just to see if it helped. Powered phone on and first text was a duplicate. Stopped in to At&t and an employee tried to get it to happen again which of course it didn't. He swapped out my Sim for a new one and we will see. Running out of ideas. It is interesting that I had texting issues with both the vivid and skyrocket. Perhaps something specific to my line he guessed if this doesn't work I am going to call back AT&t and see if I can talk to a level 2 tech person.

Upvote 0
I am back and today I had a missed text and a text from my husband that made no sense. After asking what he meant back and later coming home and seeing what he sent me and what I received the last sentence in the paragraph was not even what he sent. Then about an hour later I didn't get one of his texts. Called and talked to tier 2 tech support. Looked into several thing and has now handednit to tier 3 to look at. They will call me back Friday after looking into it. He had suggested if I switched cell phone numbers it would most likely take card of the issue. I explained I have had this number for over 15 years and would prefer not to. Will see what tier 3 says Friday!

Upvote 0
This happens when you get texts from someone who has a text plan that strictly adheres the the 160 character text limit or you get texts forwarded to your phone from something like AIM.

Happens to me all the time. My ex-girlfriend always uses AIM to send me messages and if I'm out of the house ("away") it breaks her texts up into 7 parts and sends them all out of order. Technically, there is a 160 character limit on text messages. In the past few years, people have found a way around it... but not everyone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones