Text Messaging keeps crashingSupport

Last Updated:

1. dmatyass

dmatyass Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I just rooted my X and have only removed some of the straight forward bloatware... i.e. CityID, Blockbuster...

After doing so, I did a factory reset and now the stock text messaging app won't stay open...

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Did you delete conversations.apk by any chance?

3. dmatyass

No, and I tried reinstalling it just to be sure...same problem still, i select "text messaging" and all that happens is a blank screen and then back to my home screen

4. Airmaxx23

Did you delete apps, freeze them or rename them? Are you using 2.1 or 2.2?

5. dmatyass

I'm still using 2.1 and I deleted apps...also I made sure to practice reinstalling any system app I deleted so I'll be fine to update to 2.2...so I'm a noob, just not a complete noob

6. Airmaxx23

Did you keep a list of what you deleted? When you go to reinstall them they need to be put in the right folder and given certain "permissions" for the system. If I remember correctly one of the social apps will mess up texting if removed.

7. dmatyass

I unistalled:
    City ID
    Talk
    DLNASystemService
    Blockbuster
    Email
    Email Engine
    Social Messaging Service
    DLNA
    Media Share
    3G Mobile Hotspot
    Voicemail
    My Verizon

...I figured it might've been the social messaging service so I reinstalled it but nothing was fixed...I don't think I have the permissions wrong on it, I followed the "reinstalling system apps" post to the t

8. Airmaxx23

Email engine is the one causing the problems with text messaging. You need to reinstall it.

9. dmatyass

Problem Resolved! ...and that is why this website is the best...because of smart people like you helping dumb people like me

I guess I''ll have to be a little more careful with what I delete from now on lol

10. Airmaxx23

It's possible to be smart and dumb, like me, I renamed the same app and had the same problem before but I only rename a few at a time. That way it's easier to narrow it down if there's problems. I'm glad it's working again. Just for future reference, rename the apps you want to remove and use the phone for a while to be sure it isn't going to mess something up.

dmatyass likes this.
  11. Shodor

Shodor New Member

I am having a similar issue. My "stock" text messaging app and handcent messaging app fc upon opening. I thought it was my launcher (ADW) so I uninstalled and installed Zeam instead. I read that this had helped others solve the problem. Unfortunately, Both apps still fc upon opening with the new launcher. Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

12. wallybanger

wallybanger Member

OK, and how do you do that? I can't find anything on google. My text messaging app keeps crashing and it is driving me F#&^ING CRAZY!