• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Messaging Question

Bhengbang

Lurker
Dec 11, 2009
A couple of my friends and I all have the Eris. I seem to be the only one that has messaging issues though. If I try to delete a thread with over 30 messages the phone freezes up and I eventually have to hit the home button to make anything happen. When I'm on the home screen I click messages again to see if it did delete the thread and ALL my threads are gone and it says Compose Message at the top. BUT it freezes again. I end up restarting my phone...going back to the messages and they are all back like I never touched them.

Every time I try to explain this people seem to think I don't understand how to delete a thread. That is not the issue!! If the thread is under 30 messages it deletes fine! I have to delete facebook statuses all the time. The only way I could clear a 700 count thread was to one by one delete the messages.

What is going on?? Is it just my phone and hopefully an update is coming?? Or do I have a setting turned on that I need to change?

Thanks=]

Reactions: ericajs
Hello, I also have the same issue, however, it never requires me to restart my phone. It freezes as you have said, but after I hit another button to back out and go back in, my messages are gone and I can create new messages no problem...

I don't have any task killers or anything else installed on my phone...

Upvote 0
I don't have a taskiller either. I think I'll just have to go talk to Verizon and see if they can help me. I have been putting it off because I dread waiting for 30+ mins for them to treat me like I've never used a cell phone in my life=/

Also I just got my update and now my screen does not slide to unlock. I read somewhere on here that you can click the menu icon and that's how I've been having to unlock my phone.

Upvote 0
I don't have a taskiller either. I think I'll just have to go talk to Verizon and see if they can help me. I have been putting it off because I dread waiting for 30+ mins for them to treat me like I've never used a cell phone in my life=/

Also I just got my update and now my screen does not slide to unlock. I read somewhere on here that you can click the menu icon and that's how I've been having to unlock my phone.

You can still slide it. It just requires more to do it. see other threads for more particular discussion.

Upvote 0
I finally figured out how to unlock my phone. I was just used to the old thumb flip.

So I went to Verizon and talked to a different person then last time and apparently there is something wrong with my phone and they are sending me a new one because I am still in my 30 days.

nap1997, go talk to Verizon hopefully you are still in your 30 days too=]

Upvote 0
for Bhengbang- I have this same issue. What i do is delete the whole thread. But i have to wait.. So what i do is i use the scroll ball and just scroll up and down on the messages (not the whole time scrolling). I do this to make sure the backlight stays on. I just finished deleting a thread with over 1800 messages. Took about 10 minutes of making sure the backlight never went out and it erased. then after that i was able to delete any threads with over 100 without a problem. Finally! i do hope they come out with a fix for this. Other than that little issue my phone is great. hope this helps.

Reactions: ericajs
Upvote 0
Well the lady at Verizon was messing with my phone and she deleted a 3 message thread (took less then a min) then a 40ish thread (took less then a min) and then the 300+ and it froze and she said that wasn't supposed to happen at all. We called the tech people and they recorded my problem. I just got my new phone in the mall today. I know I was in my 30 day period so they switched it free. If it is taking 10 mins I don't think that is right. I've never had a thread at 1800 but ten mins seems a bit long. It might be worth checking into. Unless you just don't feel like it. But my new phone works great...so far =]

Upvote 0
A couple of my friends and I all have the Eris. I seem to be the only one that has messaging issues though. If I try to delete a thread with over 30 messages the phone freezes up and I eventually have to hit the home button to make anything happen. When I'm on the home screen I click messages again to see if it did delete the thread and ALL my threads are gone and it says Compose Message at the top. BUT it freezes again. I end up restarting my phone...going back to the messages and they are all back like I never touched them.

Every time I try to explain this people seem to think I don't understand how to delete a thread. That is not the issue!! If the thread is under 30 messages it deletes fine! I have to delete facebook statuses all the time. The only way I could clear a 700 count thread was to one by one delete the messages.

What is going on?? Is it just my phone and hopefully an update is coming?? Or do I have a setting turned on that I need to change?

Thanks=]
Precisely the problem I had. Much teeth-gnashing. Verizon rep told me first to do a hard reset (turn off phone, remove battery, let it sit a minute, then put the battery back in). If that didn't work (and it did not seem to, after several tries), he said to purge out my gmail account, or some such thing, which made no sense because texts don't route through gmail. Anyway, I returned to my teeth-gnashing effort just now and found that, Lo! The texts finally had deleted. (Almost 1,700 texts in a thread... New user here, didn't know that'd be a problem. Duh.) Don't ask me what happened. Only thing I can figure is that the Verizon advice did work.... eventually (given, say, 31 hours to work in background?).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones