text messagingSupport

Last Updated:

1. ciccone

ciccone Member This Topic's Starter

Can someone explain to me why I need to enter the area code when I text people with the Epic? I had a lg phone before hand and I did not have to do that at all. Btw awesome forums and thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisement
  2. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

I think it's an android thing.

My previous android phone was the same way.

I've always put numbers into my address book with the area code included so that my address book entries work no matter where I am.

-SF

3. Matty Mo

Matty Mo Well-Known Member

Yeah i am pretty sure this is a unique feature to android. All my previous phones that werent android based such as ios and webos dont require this but on all the android phones i have owned i have had to do this.

4. HanMan5000

HanMan5000 Member

I think its a Sprint thing. My LG Rumor, LG Rumor 2, and Palm Centro all had the same thing. No area code, the message wouldn't send.

5. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

Its a location and AOS thing. Area codes help determine geographical / long distances charges (which usually apply to land lines since most wireless carriers offer free long distance). However some areas of the country are so densly populated that not 1 area code has enough prefixes to cover the population. So a mulit area code over lay is adapted to allow enough numbers to fit into that location.
    Parts of the country, usually with very small populations have larger dialing areas with prefixes. Well heres an example. I am in Dallas, 214, 469 and 972 are all in Dallas county alone, not long distance but in order to make ANY call i have to put in all the digits. 972-xxx-xxxx Now in places like South Dakota, where the poplulation is much smaller, they have 1 area code. 665, and many prefixes, so 665-prefix-xxx can cover a greater distance. Originally area codes were used to define if a call was local or long distance. A lot of that has changed. So where your at might require you to call a person using 7 digits, where i am at requires me to use 10 digits. Your older phone might have been able to text locally with just 7, but i believe using 10 is more of a standard now.
    Yeah not a great explination, but hope it helps.

6. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

I got in the habit back in '96 or so of storing all of my numbers with the area code in them. It just makes it easier.

7. jfreon

jfreon New Member

from samsungepicforum (can't post a link since this is my first post):

Code drops off for messaging - Samsung Epic 4G

Here is the fix. I have tested it and it works.

First the issue is you once texted someone with a 7 digit number. Most likely becuase you stored them in your contacts that way. Even if you update the contact info it will always drop the area code from all future messages to that person. Everyone that was stored correctly will message correctly. Deleting the contact and reinstalling them will not work. Importing the contact again will not work. Deleting the message thread and starting a new thread will not work.

Here is what you need to do.

Clear data in the Dialer and Dialer storage.... under manage Applications> All.

That is Settings - Applications - Choose All to view All choices - then find Dialer and clear the Data. Repeat this for the Dialer Storage as well.

I personally also deleted the message thread first from the text message window and my log history which is a menu item from your call screen.

This process will not delete all your contacts. [It will clear your message history].

The only other fix to this problem is to reset back to factory defaults. I don't suggest this at all.

Good to go afterwards!...