Text size or icon size help!Support

Last Updated:

1. ocean1

ocean1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im not that old.. or maybe I am, but I am having real issues reading anything. The icons are really small for as large as the screen is as well as some text throught the phone. Every phone I have ever owned had at least a small,large,larger even the yucky Storm I got out of I could pick larger text (point size). Anyone know if this was left out or how to fix?
    Thanks!! Help an old man out please! I dont want to have to whip out my glasses to see notifications, see icons, read :D

Advertisement
  2. c5d

c5d Member

3. ynotcat

ynotcat New Member

I have the same problem. I wonder if it is possible for an application to be developed to help with text size. I guess I'll have to carry my reading glasses everywhere until then.

4. ocean1

That just doesnt make sense lol All that real estate and everything is soo small. I cant even read what I am texting . Please someone make an app for that! Ill have to read why they fixed the font size. I dont get it. Not everyone is 20 haha All you guys that can read and see everything on the droid are gonna need some help someday. Guess BB has one up on the droid on this issue... bummer

5. LarryMcJ

LarryMcJ Well-Known Member

Don't think this is just a Motorola issue...its an Android/Google issue. I have the Droid Eris and have the same problem...I can't see anything in Gmail or text messages and I have good eyes. I can change the font size for the browser, but that's all :) Maybe someone will make a hack that fixes this, but for now we're stuck with it.

6. Mrwirez

Mrwirez Well-Known Member

I am 43 and it is tiny.. my eyes are starting to go too. I can read it but, man it is VERY tiny. They need an app where you hold the icon or text box for a few seconds and it would act like a "right click". Increase font, increase icon size, move icon, cut/copy/paste... All that stuff.
    If only I was a coder.. hmmm. I am sure someone will build a magnifying glass or something.

7. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

I am sure a lot of people buying these phone are past 40 because of the price tag. Bitch to Android (Google) and I am sure they will do something sooner or later.

8. elucas730

elucas730 Active Member

They do. Its called the lasik app.

9. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

10. Droidin

Droidin Active Member

Or a magnifying screen protector :D

11. earthdog

earthdog Active Member

I have to agree this is my single biggest issue.

12. ocean1

I guess the best way to put is a 900 square foot house on 10 acres of land. Seems like a waste to me. The next door guy would say "Why didnt he make the house bigger? has all that land?"

13. ktb1381

ktb1381 Active Member

I'm with you guys.

There have been hacks that have worked in some cases in the past (such as Spare Parts and BetterCut). They do not work on HTC Hero (1.5 OS). You might try them on your phone. Try a search for them on this forum or on google.

But IMHO google would be well advised to provide this functionality out of the box. :) Is there anything we can do to encourage Google?

I've actually heard unsubstantiated reports that the 1.6 and/or 2.0 OS versions might allow text enlargement. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

14. ocean1

Bump anyone know if they are working on fixing this? Seen a few other sites people saying text size / icon and the ahome wont work on 2.0 to change the icons never did change text size. google woofed on this every other OS has at least a basic text sizing option

15. LarryMcJ

LarryMcJ Well-Known Member

Same problem on 2.0...the Motorola Droid has 2.0. Best we can hope for is a software upgrade but it will have to be after 2.0. Or, someone might make an app for that. I know I'd sure buy it in a heartbeat.

16. ocean1

Try using the app store and read comments lol forget about it its the size of a grain of sand lol Help! Make an app and charge 20 bucks I would dl it in a second as well!

17. JFerguson09

JFerguson09 New Member

need this fix! I am in my 2nd week of ownership and this is the most annoying problem!!! May return the phone since I am on the road alot and need this business tool to be functional.

18. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

The bottom line is that you can only change the font size in the web browser. You can change the font size associated with the icons on the desktop with dxTop alternative home application. But you can only size it up to the extend of the oval window given for text.

You must a pair of readers 1.0 - 2.0 and keep them around your neck like me. That way you get to experience the great high resolution screen of the Droid.

You can even by sunglasses at the Dollar Store that have a bifocal in them!

19. ocean1

I am going in to Best Buy today to see what other phones they have. Its crazy that Google doesnt have font size select. The only OS that does not not. Huge screen and tiny fonts and icons DOH!
    Anyway you are not alone its all over the web and here is a thread dedicated to this issue on this site. Over 3,400 hits!! Its a popular issue I would say. Its even been mentioned on BGR. Here is the link to the thread here. Keep it on top until someone makes an App to fix it (the whole OS not just MMS or SMS) the whole OS. Its in the ADA area as well for disabled. I am not disabled but this tiny text makes ya sure feel like your loosin it lol.
    Here is link http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/15094-how-get-past-androids-default-tiny-text-size.html

20. NickNitro

NickNitro Member

2009 thread and it's 2011 and no fix. Android sucks for this. I may sell mine and buy an iphone. iphone and BB have system wide text enlargement. I encourage all who need glasses/reading glasses not to give android your business. If you use an android phone 60 times a day, 60 times a day you will have to fumble around looking for glasses, really bad when your driving. Blackberry & iphone have had text enlargement for years, buy there phones and save yourself MAJOR headaches. Maybe some YEAR android phone makers will pull their heads out of their rear ends a fix what should have never been a problem in the first place. JMO

21. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

The solution is an app called Font Size (for Root Users) by i-p-tel GmbH that costs $1.38 and globally increases font size. If you're having trouble reading text, then it may be worth your while to root the phone and install this puppy. :)

22. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

23. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

This is not the only thread on the subject, with apps and remedies offered in some of those other threads.

24. aish_varya

aish_varya Well-Known Member

i get your problem

try this app spare part+ and blade buddy to reduce font size and increase density so as to reduce icon and overall size of things.

25. aish_varya

aish_varya Well-Known Member

try this app spare part+ and blade buddy to reduce font size and increase density so as to reduce icon and overall size of things.