• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text Thread Question On Android 2.2

ok so heres the question......on android 2.2 the text messaging shows the contacts picture in the thread. now i know you can see yours too. they told me i have to go into the phonebook and creat my profile. which i have but i still cant see my pic in the threads. what am i doing wrong.......can someone help.

I know what your talking about. I was actually messing around with this yesterday to change my picture.

If you open up the app "People" (default Android contact app), the first contact listed should be your contact card. Click on that, then Edit, then click on the picture area and change it from there.

When I try to set a picture to my contact card when looking at it in the Gallery, it does not seem to work so I use the above method instead.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0
ok so i figured it out. took a while but i did it.

here is what you gotta do. the reason why my picture wasn't coming up was because my sim card didn't have my number registered. if your thread shows your text with a grey empty box then your phone number isn't programed on the sim card. easy to fix. just simply put your chip into a phone that supports that. i used my dads old school samsung flip phone. i went into the setting under the phone book and looked up my own phone number. it was all blank. i just entered my info and thats it. as soon as i put my sim back into my optimus and tried it out it worked.

kind of confusing i know. but i can walk you through it. just pm me......

Reactions: diandrea26
Upvote 0
hi,

im actually having the same problem that you had....and i tried what you did. but, i dont know if i was really doing it right the way you did yours...i just simply transfered my chip to my old phone and then i saved my own number to my sim... ugh, i dont know what to do....my lg optimus still doesnt work. there's still no picture in my textthread...pleassee help:(

Upvote 0
in the txt thread is the box gray or does it have a little android dude inside. if its gray then you didnt program the number right.

another way of checking is by hitting menu>settings>about phone>Phone information

in this screen it should say my number and it should have your info. if it does display your info then you just need to set up your profile.

to set your profile go to contacts. hit menu. select my profile and just edit your information dont forget to add your picture.

once done text and your photo should appear.......

Upvote 0
go ahead and remove the sim card. place it into an old flip phone. once the phone powers up go into the phonebook settings and look for my number or my info or worded something like that. it should say msid and it should be empty. go ahead and edit it and insert your own number and name. once your done applying that click on it again to double check. now it should have your info stored on the sim card.

once you get that done put your sim back into the optimus. once that powers up if you haven't edited your profile then do so. go to contacts, menu, more, my profile. edit your info and you should have your picture showing on your threads.

Upvote 0
thanks,!
uhmm,, what kinda phone exactly did you use? :) i only have my nokia3600 slide here..

another thing...have you experienced something like, your phone starts to freeze like 5 times a day or more? i really love optimus, but my only problem is, it keeps on freezing even from the first day that i got it...and it keeps on going until now,.that's the reason why i dont play much games on it..i tried removing the sd card, and it still freezes..and i get so mad...
if you have any idea on how to fix this, please please tell me...:))

Upvote 0
The below needs either a replacement ROM and/or to be rooted (?).

If this is the case a market app called "My Phone Number" by Lytsing works to add the number to the sim.

Also, this does write it to the sim and is not just some software hack.
I tested by putting the sim in another phone without the app installed and My Number is now visible (as is my pic in the messaging app).

Reactions: morrissey007
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones