text-to-speech, maps

1. FortKnox

FortKnox Well-Known Member

So Android on my G1 supports Google Maps. There's a TTS library (or gonna be one, I'm not sure). So how would I get more information about the Google Maps app getting the ability to SAY the next road-route instruction to take? That would allow me to drive by myself to a new spot, without having a passenger read the directions to me.

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Google Maps is capable of this ... But Google is prohibiting and developer current to use google maps for turn-by-turn Navigation ... Possibly becuase google has plans for their own use ...

The are other apps that are doing Voice Nav turn-by-turn ... Telenav for one ... the premier one out ...
  3. FortKnox

"There are no matches in Android Market for the search: telnav"
  4. justjimjpc

5. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

and yes, there is a TTS library, has been available for quite some time.

Market ->Applications ->Software Libraries ->Text-To-Speech Library

When you download it, you can open it like it's an app. Just brings up a settings page, BUT if you press the menu button, and tap on "Application Showcase" it'll bring up a webpage telling you every app (at least on the official market) that uses TTS Library, and even provide handy links to them that take you to their market page.
  6. FortKnox

Yowch the Telenav app is $10 bucks a month. No thanks, I'll wait and see what the Google kids come up with.

And many much thanks, punkzanyj, that's great. I wouldn't have just found that.
  7. softwaretech

softwaretech Member

You may want to look at Wisepilot. It's European-based, but the turn-by-turn works here. it's free for now and hoping it'll stay that way.
  8. justjimjpc

you can also try "1 Click Direction 1.0"

uses TTS
  9. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

that software libraries section has a couple things that programs use, I recommend getting "radar" as well.