Text-To-Speech Option

Last Updated:

1. steelersmb

steelersmb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know how to use the text-to-speech? There is a setting for it but the option is greyed out to download the library.

Advertisement
  2. sh4o8kid

sh4o8kid Well-Known Member

i have a simliar problem too.

At first, i installed Shaprewriter keyboard and it works great. I hit the menu button and it gives me a voice to text option.

After a couple hours i go to menu again and i do not see the voice to text option anymore.

anybody know a fix?

3. evoman2be913

evoman2be913 Well-Known Member

Not sure why it's doing that for you guys but I may have a solution. Download an app called handcent sms. It does speech to text and also does text to speech where it will read your messages back to you. It also gives you complete customization on all types of settings. It is free and once you download it and you want to type a message just hit menu and than speak and there is your speech to text. Hope this helps!

4. steelersmb

steelersmb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am looking for something that would work with email though, not just SMS.

5. evoman2be913

Does it show the mic at all on the keyboard when you are in compose?

6. Mabster

Mabster Well-Known Member

We are talking text to speech here guys. The phone does speech to text very easy. It's too separate issues. Don't confuse the two. Anytime a keyboard is shown you have the ability to tap the microphone button to activate speech to text. I see no option to active text to speech.

We want the ability to have our email and text read to us aloud. Where is it?

7. evoman2be913

mabster with handcent you can have your texts read aloud. I use it all the time while driving and it works well. I am still trying to find one for email as well.

8. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Anyone get this yet? My friend has a phone that does this automatically, so its great for driving. I just got a car mount, and can do anything by speaking to the phone, but i would love to have the phone read me texts while driving.

The option is there in the Settings menu, and the demo works fine. I don't know why there is no option to read a text to you.

9. kirbysawhoor

kirbysawhoor Member

drivesafe.ly does it, it acts funny sometimes and made my phone not play any sound for incomming messages though, after i had turned the app back off. so depends how bad you want it. does e-mail too

10. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

I know Better keyboard and Smartkeyboard Pro have the Michael option. Use it frequently. Doesn't the stock keyboard have it on Evo too?

Just never looked. Came from Hero and new keyboard was DL with all my other paid apps before I did anything else with Evo.

11. sitlet

sitlet Banned

That's the speech to text feature. I'm talking about the text to speech, i.e. reading a text aloud to me.

12. InfamousStylesP

InfamousStylesP Active Member

this is probably the one thing i miss about windows mobile. i love this feature.....drive safely has it, but to say its overpriced is an understatement.

CriticalCritic likes this.
  13. kkwus74

kkwus74 Well-Known Member

you could always get vlingo?...it does that too:)

14. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

Vlingo does it, but I think they charge for updates.

I think I'm going to be patient and wait for something better and free, like Froyo's rumored full text-speech and speech-text upgrade making 2-way via Android greatly improved at no cost.

15. mikebz5

mikebz5 Active Member

Im still looking for a text to speech option as well. When I go to menu>settings>text to speech the option to download library is grayed out. If we can't do anything with it why is it there?

16. mikebz5

mikebz5 Active Member

Oh, I am using handcent as well and have tts checked but it doesn't seem to work.

17. side0ut

side0ut Well-Known Member

Shoutout will play the incoming text messages and can talk to send text messages. I believe it will automatically play any incoming text message when in driving mode.. (bluetooth connected I believe). Since I don't really use the read aloud part, I am not sure if it will work like you want it. Got it for my wife since she hates typing when she is trying to send a text on her Hero.

18. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

If you can track down an ancient version 1 of drivesafe.ly, you can have your text messages read aloud and have a preset response. That old version was free and didn't require any of the social networking garbage. However, it was limited to sms only, and I think it had a word limit for how much it would read.

19. mikebz5

mikebz5 Active Member

Thanks!