• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
How do I get my Motorola Droid Maxx to use text -to-speech for incoming e-mail and SMS so I can listen instead of read; in addition to my outgoing e-mail and SMS to check for errors?
For outgoing, probably the best way is to go into settings and set up touchless control. Then you can dictate text messages by saying "OK Google Now, send a message to..." etc. The keyboard should have the ability to use text dictation from the keyboard. I don't use the standard keyboard, so it may require changing a setting in the keyboard, but that should be in settings / language & input - turn on "Google voice typing" and hit the settings icon to the right of google keyboard, then preferences, and make sure Voice input key is turned on.

To listen to incoming text messages you can open the Assist app and turn on Home and Driving assist - but, as you may guess, those only work when you are moving about 15 mph or faster and, well, at home.

Reactions: codesplice and Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones