• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text voice commands

prostang

Dec 22, 2011
ok. Did a search and found the Google help docs and tried their suggestion for creating a text message "text to <contact> message What's up dude?" every single time I get "to <contact> message what's up dude?" in the message body. I have even tried "text to <contact>" and I get the "to <contact>" in the message body. I read in previous versions of Android the same issue exists. I even tried "SMS to <contact>" with the same results. Am I the only one?

Mine works like a champ every time, always has. I've tried just now to figure out if I'm doing anything different. It works with the first command message, or text, or send text, or send message. If I say only the first name, it picks the first person with that name in my contacts. If I say both names, it gets it spot on.

The only thing I can think of is, where are you initiating the voice command from? I use the omni-search bar that appears on every page of the desktop. I just tap the little microphone there.

Upvote 0
from what I have read you have to have your contacts synced to Gmail and that can be a feat in its self! A company called happy droid supposedly have a work a round to sync contacts to Gmail but of course this app doesn't work on ics yet. All in all I have enjoyed my transition from iphone to android but siri kills Google attempt to match voice recognition.

PS: kool aide drinkers/bathers the truth hurts

Upvote 0
from what I have read you have to have your contacts synced to Gmail and that can be a feat in its self! A company called happy droid supposedly have a work a round to sync contacts to Gmail but of course this app doesn't work on ics yet. All in all I have enjoyed my transition from iphone to android but siri kills Google attempt to match voice recognition.

doesnt android automatically sync your contacts to gmail?

Upvote 0

This wasn't an attempt to match iPHone, it is a 3 year old feature that iPhone has just now introduced. I suppose if it catches on we'll get some improvement.

Wozniak says the text translation of Google is superior. There's just no software or AI to try and make it where you can just ask quesitons or give commands.

I didn't know there was any way to do contacts than synced with Gmail. I thought it system backed them up there automatically. Why wouldn't anybody want them in the cloud?

Upvote 0
This wasn't an attempt to match iPhone, it is a 3 year old feature that iPhone has just now introduced. I suppose if it catches on we'll get some improvement.
says the text translation of Google is superior. There's just no software or AI to try and make it where you can just ask questions or give commands.

I didn't know there was any way to do contacts than synced with Gmail. I thought it system backed them up there automatically. Why wouldn't anybody want them in the cloud?

Guess what I'm comparing them. Sorry if I anger the gods. The issue this gentle and many others are having is that syncing contacts to Gmail can be problematic there are many references to this problem (take the time to Google it if your ignorant of this) my frustration comes due to the fact that 1. Google is definitely the culprit goofing this sync process up. There are 3rd party apps to address the problem. 2. Android selling point is its intelligence/intuitiveness so is siri can speech to text without synced contacts and give voice commands through ai then android needs to step their game up. And sorry but I don't care what Wozniak thinks just spend 15 mins (girl friend owns a iphone 4s) feeding in to this semantic agreement that Google voice recognition is better and they both worked fine for me expect for the glaring limitation of Google product. My bottom line is google has problems/limitations with this feature that need to be ironed out! And only time will tell if they are on their game. uploadfromtaptalk1327803417651.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones