Texting more than 160 charactersGeneral

Last Updated:

1. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Before I had a smartphone, i was able to text more than 160 characters in one message by selecting picture message.
    Even without attaching a picture I was able to type up to 1000 characters in one message.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do this on the Eris? I sometimes need to send long messages to people with regular cell phones.
    but they either get broken up into many small messages (which are hard to read) or sometimes they only get the first 160 characters and the rest is lost.

If anyone has figured this out please share.

Thank you.

Advertisement
  2. smacky

smacky Banned

On the Eris this happens?

I could only send 160 and after that they would get cut off. That was during all of my EnV days and it seemed like a little bit into my Eris days. Then, after an update to the Eris, I would be able to send three page texts at once, but I would get a text back from VZW in seconds letting me know it was split up for the other guy.

Now, I can type a dissertation and send it and it would go through fine, no text back from VZW saying it was fragmented.

Are you running 2.1? I can confirm it worked after the first leak, and possibly before that too.

3. cableguynoe

No. I was able to send up to 1000 characters on a regular cell phone (not smartphone) using a picture message.

So I'm wondering if something similar can be done on the Eris

4. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

so they fixed this with 2.1? sweet, I didn't know that.

5. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

oh man, now I have another reason why I can't wait for 2.1

Google Nav
    Vlingo
    more than 160 character texts

I'm going to stop coming to this forum so I can't see all the cool stuff 2.1 has until I get 2.1 (I know I can load the leak, I may do it soon)

6. dracozny

dracozny Well-Known Member

if you use handcent it has an option to automatically switch to MMS if text exceeds so may characters.

7. Lyssie71

Lyssie71 Member

I tried using that option....but it doesn't work for me. On an Eris w/1.6.

8. smacky

smacky Banned

I'm still not 100% sure 2.1 was the reason maximum character count was increased or the enabling of the truncating of messages. It has been so long, all I can do is confirm that 2.1 has it where you can just keep on typing and will not get a text back saying that either

1. your message was cut short and only the first 160 were sent
    2. your text was sent completely, but was truncated in several messages

The latter was just a nuisance but it still let you send 160+

9. Diabolique

Diabolique Active Member

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here, but I've searched the forums and I can't find anything about 1.5 vs 1.6 versions. My Eris is showing that it's v1.5... where did v1.6 come into play? And can I upgrade?

I've had my phone for a couple of months now, and I explore the forum here regularly. I've learned a lot from reading posts here, but I still can't seem to figure out if there is or isn't actually a v1.6 and how I could get that.

10. smacky

smacky Banned

The Eris was released when 1.6 was available, however HTC put 1.5 on there anyway and hoped to upgrade to 2.1 soon. There is no 1.6 for the Eris

Diabolique likes this.
  11. cableguynoe

other phones like the Motorola Devour have 1.6. We're not that lucky.

12. smacky

smacky Banned

1.6 ain't that great either. They're waiting for 2.1 just like we are, and probably have been for much longer than we have. We have the leak. Unless you're rooted, most other phones do not have a leaked 2.1.