Texting on the Epic with 2.2Support

Last Updated:

1. _-Jay-_

_-Jay-_ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I did the manual update for Froyo today. Everything seems great. However, it seems like when I am texting, the line where you get the word suggestions (auto-complete?) as you type has less words to choose from. Like when I type ar_ (it only gives me a suggestion for ar / Mark / Tara / Gary / Larry / Arnold...etc) rather than "are". It's like it's only pulling words from my Contact List rather than popular words from the dictionary. When I typw whic_ (it only gives me an option for whic, rather than which) Is there a setting I missed somewhere? It seemed MUCH easier to type with 2.1 and auto-correct/auto-complete.

Advertisement
  2. Chad

Chad Active Member

I too am seeing this problem... I mainly use the Android keyboard and the predictive word choices are completely messed up as described by Jay. It is pulling up my contact list names and maybe words I've manually added to my dictionary or something. Pretty much nothing useful at all...

3. FreakyLocz14

FreakyLocz14 Banned

You can turn that off manually.

4. _-Jay-_

_-Jay-_ Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't want to turn it off, I actually like the auto-correct and word prediction feature, I just wanted to know why the word-prediction library all of a sudden sucks with Froyo when it was pretty intuitive on Eclair.

5. Chad

Chad Active Member

I agree with Jay. You don't fix something that is broken by just turning it off. It needs to be corrected by Samsung/Sprint. Is anyone else experiencing this problem with the Android onscreen keyboard? You won't notice it if you only use Swype or another keyboard.

EDIT: Ok so I just realized that this build of Froyo was more of a "leak" and not an official "release"... so I guess this accounts for an error/oversight such as this broken keyboard. Hopefully the official release will not have this problem!

6. TheCrut

TheCrut New Member

I have the same problem, but I got the "official" release to dev phones, which I installed on my Epic. Is there a file that is missing for the autocorrect library? I have searched the web with no promising results.

7. nemt

nemt Member

I think the leak supposedly lacks a dictionary.

I am too enraged by the yellow/blue speech bubbles to notice any other texting related problems with this horrible update, though.

8. EXXXCELSIOR

EXXXCELSIOR New Member

Had the same problem when I got my epic a month ago and updated to froyo. FINALLY! I found an ap that gave me auto correct. Smart Keyboard(free trial), which makes you download a dictionary. Works flawlessly, just like the original 2.1 keyboard. Hope it works for you all as we'll as its werkin for me.

9. pablo.station

pablo.station Well-Known Member

yup, swype got pretty awful when I updated to 2.2..I find myself using the physical keyboard more because of this.