• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

texting with google voice

GorillaTheHutt

Nov 17, 2009
SF, CA
I'd love to switch to GV to get free texting since they have the instant syncing now. i did a test run the other day and ran into a severe problem:

i texted my friend thru GV and everything worked fine. she received the text, and it appeared in my GV inbox as sent to her with her contact info and picture and everything.

however, things did not work as i hoped when she texted me back. the number came from some random 650 number. from what i've read this could be some sort of intermediate number used by GV. but it also didn't say it was sent by my friend. so it has a random number, no name, no picture, no contact info, etc. in my GV inbox it shows up in a separate thread from the text i sent out with no information about her. interestingly, when i replied to this strange text, she got them!

so do i have something set up wrong? is there some way to make GV associate incoming texts with my contacts? if i can't, i don't see how the GV texting is useful...

Just to verify, when you received her text message, you were checking in the Google Voice app on your phone and not the default text message app on your phone?

I have seen 650 numbers used when I use the Google Voice app to call someone. When I used to use my phone's text messaging app, messages from my contacts came in with a 406 number.

Upvote 0
sorry it took so long to reply...my notification went to the spam bin.

i am using the GV app to do the texting. i set GV up so it doesn't send a text to my phone, as well, only to the GV app (actually, that's the default behavior now).

That is the same setup I am using. Not sure why it isn't working for you. Hopefully someone else can offer a solution. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Oh, I guess you tried rebooting the phone? Although I can't see that fixing the problem, can't hurt.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones