textingGeneral

Last Updated:

1. softballbabe1515

softballbabe1515 Member This Topic's Starter

i am having issues when i compose a new text message i start to type the contact and nothing shows up it gives me no options even the numbers like it usually does. i am not sure if its just running slow or if i disabled that option or what. any help is very appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. VonKannick

VonKannick Well-Known Member

Reboot and try again. Mine does that sometimes too. No good reason.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Be sure you've actually selected (touched) the text field you want to type in before using the keyboard.

Sometimes users will touch the keyboard first, either intentionally, momentarily not thinking they need to touch the text field first, or accidentally, perhaps while repositioning the device in the hand, which renders your input basically void.

4. softballbabe1515

i have rebooted a couple of times and it still doesn't give me any options. and i know i'm in the field i've touched it and everything.

5. Frisco

If that were happening in my device I'd check to see if it's the keyboard itself by downloading and installing a third party texting app (Chomp, Handsent, etc) and using it instead of the stock keyboard for a while.

6. TheDanimal

TheDanimal Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it would be the keyboard itself since the keyboard doesn't pull the contact information from the contacts, but, i would think downloading and installing a 3rd party messaging app like Frisco suggested would most likely fix it. If not, there's always the factory reset.

7. softballbabe1515

im thinking it has something to do with my contacts because they are loading really slow like 30 seconds to bring up the information once ive already selected the person

8. TheDanimal

I would factory reset, someone else may have another suggestion though.

9. Frisco

We keep forgetting that wiggy behaviors in the device are often caused by an overload on resources, such as background data updates (weather, facebook, etc).

I keep all that stuff set to only update when I select "update" in the menus. GPS stays off unless I know I need it, etc.

But a reset can often wash things out, true, as a last resort; it's just that I would not do that until I'd tried the other remedies such as cache clearing, update manual selection in the apps which have such a selection, live battery pull (removing the battery while the device is running), installing a third party messaging app as a test, etc.

10. softballbabe1515

i did pretty much all of that and i just did a reset and we will see how that works.

11. erayne

erayne New Member

I am having the exact same problem. I've tried both Handcent and Chomp and it did the same thing. I hate to do a factory reset as I have apps that are no long in the market that I don't want to lose!

12. TheDanimal

If you're rooted you can use titanium backup and back up your apps, or pull them from the phone using adb.

13. softballbabe1515

i did the reset and it fixed the problems i was having