1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Textmsg/email icon notificationSupport

1. poldapaq

poldapaq Member

Hi there :)
    Love my new S3 but encounterd a little problem.
    When i get a new email or textmsg the icon on the main page are
    showing 1 new mail/text. But when i go in to the new message and
    read it the icon still showing 1 new mail/text.
    I`ve checked that I dont have any unread messages, also tried to delete
    RAM and other programs, even restart the mobile.
    But sadly the same icon show 1 new mail/text.

Would be glad for any help :)

Best regards Espen, Norway

Attached Files:

Advertisement
    :
  2. Scootmien

Scootmien Well-Known Member Contributor

Obvious question so forgive me if you have already tried this.

Are you using any other SMS/Email apps? For instance if you are using Handcent SMS and you receive a text message then you would get a notification from Handcent AND the default SMS app. If you go into one of the apps and turn off the notifications, you might find this problem solved.
  3. poldapaq

poldapaq Member

Hi and thanks for the reply.
    I dont have any other apps :(
  4. LoayBal

LoayBal Active Member

I've had the same problem before, which I described in another thread
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/558629-some-issues-my-s3.html

I've managed to fix the problem by doing a factory reset to the device, it's a bit annoying I know, but since I did a factory reset the device has been working fine and the problem with the notifications disappeared.
  5. elbeeuk

elbeeuk Well-Known Member

Or, if you're scared of a factory reset (there's no need to be as long as you back up things you don't want to lose) you could just kill off the messaging task in task manager (long press home button>task manager. That fixed it for me but I was using the handcent messaging app

Only problem is, that won't fix the root of the problem whereas LoayBal's suggestion will.

HTH

Elbee
  6. d7das

d7das New Member

I have noticed that if you go into Apps, the Email and Messaging icons show the correct number of unread emails/texts.

If you lock the screen with the Apps menu live (rather than the Home screen) and a new email / message is received then the Home screen icons refresh to the correct number.

Blinking annoying!!!
    elbeeuk likes this.
  7. KillCloe

KillCloe New Member

I've actually got the same problem, however I've had it ever since I first turned on the phone and had no other apps except factory apps.

I tried LoayBal's suggestion before I even came across this thread and I've factory reset my phone 3 times since first turning it on :mad: but it hasn't fixed this problem of the icon showing wrong number of messages/emails.
    I've just tried d7das's suggestion of screen locking ect... and that isn't working either lol.
    However, if I restart the phone it fixes it, but just until I get another email/text then goes back to showing the icon as new messages recieved except the texts have already been read or I've deleted them 'cause I've read them.

No idea what this could be or how to fix it 'cause this is my first android phone and my first time on this site haha :confused:
    If I've put this in the wrong thread then my apologies lol, I'm new to this and saw it as a last resort.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? :(
  8. elbeeuk

elbeeuk Well-Known Member

As an interim workaround, did you try just killing the messaging task in task manager? It's less of a pain than rebooting all the time

Elbee
  9. KillCloe

KillCloe New Member

Yeah, I've removed all, and also went into the task manager and it says there's no active applications, then I go back into the home screen and I've still got the text notification saying '1' when I actually have no messages. I've also reopened the messaging, and went straight into task manager and ended it, back into home screen, still the same notification.
  10. poldapaq

poldapaq Member

Only solution i found was to factory reset phone
    and now the problem is gone.
    Used Samsung Kies and Google account for backup (files, contacts etg.)
  11. KillCloe

KillCloe New Member

I phoned samsung and the guy said that a lot of people had been contacting them about the above issue.
    He said their engineers are aware of the problem and are dealing with it and there will most likely be a software update when the engineers have found out/fixed the problem.

So if anyone else has this problem, I would suggest to just sit tight, ignore it, and wait for the software update however long that may be. Or you could contact samsung for confirmation.

I would suggest NOT to reset your phone to the factory settings because I have now done that 4 times and it has not resolved the issue lol.
  12. Cwazyn

Cwazyn Member

Hello mate

I've had the same problem with my S3. I get the red notification bubble on my messages and phone icon. THe way around this is you have to select those icons, and stick them in the trash. And then go back into the Apps drag them onto the main page, and then put them back on the bottom.

Et voila!

Hope that helps
    Sg
  13. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

There is an OTA update available on some UK providers, tmobile being one, this may help you.

On another note, do you have any email filters setup for that account?

If email gets forwarded from your inbox to another folder ie, "AndroidForums" then you just have to check that folder for unread email.

Hope this helps.
  14. jaskaran87

jaskaran87 New Member

hey i have been facing the same problem , have tried the factory reset and all the above solutions , the only thing worked was removn the app icon from home screen and placing it again...just waiting if anyone has an update ...
  15. BWB8771

BWB8771 Member

Related?

How can I GET the unread messages bubble on icons I put on my desktop from the widgets selection screen?