1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Textplus Questions

Last Updated:

1. dohmai

dohmai Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've read a little about textplus, but I'm still not exactly sure how it works.

Basically, I don't want to pay for a SMS plan anymore because they're rather expensive, but still want to be able to send/receive SMS msgs to others.

From my understanding, Textplus will allow me to send unlimited txt msgs to anyone on any carrier without actually counting toward my plan's SMS usage.. is that right?

Also, if I send a SMS through Textplus, when someone receives it, from my understanding they can then reply through their SMS (not through some email or web app) and it will come back to me through Textplus.. ?

But what if someone wants to SMS text me first.. is there a way for them to text me into Textplus (like a dedicated 'number' that replaces my actual number so I don't receive the SMS through my actual plan).. or are they only able to reply after I send through Textplus first?

Sorry I don't have my smartphone yet so I can't test these things out for myself. I'm trying to find a way to save on these SMS fees before changing my plan altogether.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. bukzin

bukzin Active Member

Excellent questions.

Did you ever get them answered?

3. Dieselbud

Dieselbud Well-Known Member

I just downloaded this app on my kids ipod touch so she can keep in contact with her cousins when they go to Australia for 6 months. They also have ipod touches (and not iphones)

You can text any SMS phone by entering their 10 digit number, or have them text the number you are given when you sign up with text plus. But you have to have wifi (I am dumbfounded at the amount of comments on the app page asking them to make it so you can text without wifi/3g LOL)

I was texting back and forth with her using my droid last night and my friend was texting her using her iphone and her Dad was texting with her using his 3 year old Motorola flip phone. Works like a charm! None of us needed the application we just used our own SMS features.

To use it with someone else with an ipod touch (or an iphone and they do not want to pay for texting), they must also download the application to be able to use it. They can text each other using either their user name or text+ number.

App to app is free from anywhere in the word where you can get wifi (or 3g if using a phone), but standard text messaging costs will apply to anyone they are texting to using their actual phone # and not the application. (if they pay per message etc., unlimited messaging will be no charge). But the person using the App can text for free.

4. Dieselbud

Dieselbud Well-Known Member

So you can have any phone with a phone number, and you will get ANOTHER number if you download the app. using the text+ number will be free.