• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Texts to Verizon Number Sent to Google Voice?

Hello All,

I've seen a number of similar threads, but none that seem to address my question specifically...

I work offshore in the Gulf of Mexico away from Verizon's cellular service. When I come back to the mainland, I receive a flurry of texts messages I've had no visibility to up to that point.

I have Google Voice and a GV number. I sometimes send texts to people using the internet and the GV number. I can see these conversations on my Android phone via the GV app or on a computer, when one or the other is connected to the internet (no cellular network offshore).

I want to have all texts sent to my Verizon number forward to GV, so I have visibility to these attempts to reach me - which I otherwise will not know of until I return to Verizon's cellular network - then respond using GV. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Another question I have is this: I've seen co-workers offshore using their iPhones to swap texts with people on the mainland using wifi (no cellular network offshore. I've asked if they are using an app and they look at me funny and say no (I know of "whatsapp" and apps like that but don't think that's a good option, because both parties to a text exchange must use the app, correct?). Note sure how this is possible. I do not receive texts via the internet; only when cellular signal is available.

Thanks so much for any help you might provide, and please excuse my ignorance in this matter.

no_1_u_know
USA, Planet Earth

I don't think you can forward the texts from Verizon to GV (you can forward GV to VRZ but that's irrelevant here :) ).
What you can try though is this app from Verizon, it will allow you to use the web to read/reply to texts just like you can with GV. It's actually a decent app, I've been using it for a while now (not the web part though). It may be as close as you can get to what you want to do.
You have to install the app and set it up so it's web/VRZ site enabled. You should then be able to access the website on your phone via the internet over wifi. I think. lol

Reactions: no_1_u_know
Upvote 0
Thanks!

I wasn't aware of this app, and it does what I want to do, I think. What I plan to use primarily is the web-based app, as opposed to the mobile app, because I do not always have access to wifi for the phone offshore, but I do typically have wired access on a 'puter via my employer's network. They Bluecoat pretty heavily though, so I hope I can access the Verizon site. The behavior is interesting though. I tested by sending a text to a friend via the web app and when she responded, I can see the entire exchange on the web. On my phone, I see her reply, but not my outbound. So messages sent from the web do not appear in the discussion thread on the phone, it seems.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones