• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jgriner

Sep 12, 2011
I bought my tablet right around thanks giving. best buy told that its so close to christmas they would extend my return rights until 1-26-13.

I am over all becoming more and more frustrated with my asus tablet. The lag is driving me nuts. I had considered buying the nexus 10 at the time, but decided that the dual core nexus would be laggy compared to the asus quad. Plus I like the micro sd port.

But with all my problems im having with the asus, flashing black line, crashing every other day, and extremely laggy. Im considering return it for the nexus.

Does anyone have the nexus 10? Would you recommend buying it? would should i buy?

I do not own the nexus 10 so take the following as hersey (from reviewers and friends):

The nexus 10 does not lag; it is very fast.
I've heard mixed things on the screen. It has higher resolution for sure but some comment that the infinity screen is nicer (saturation, colours, ...).
There (my problem with the nexus 10) is NO sd slot and the tablet does not support usb host (cannot use usb thumb-drive).
-
I personally would go with the nexus 10 IFF it had an sd slot; but since it does not; it cannot meet my needs.

Upvote 0
The processor on the Nexus 10 is actually better for general processing, since it's a generation newer. Most dual core A15 processors blow away the quad core A9 chips in benchmarks. Most of the lag on the Infinity tablet come from I/O issues, and some of the custom roms available seem to address this issue and run much smoother. The biggest thing the Infinity tablet has going for it is the keyboard dock. If you don't see yourself ever getting or using the keyboard dock, then I would definitely return it for the Nexus. The no SD card can be easily worked around through the use og rooting the tablet, an otg usb cable, a thumb drive, and an app called stickmount. This will allow you to have expandable storage on your tab, and is the exact same thing I do on my Nexus 7.

Upvote 0
The biggest thing the Infinity tablet has going for it is the keyboard dock. If you don't see yourself ever getting or using the keyboard dock, then I would definitely return it for the Nexus. .
I had planned on getting a dock, maybe running a custom rom is the way to go. Every other Android device I have owned I have rooted and installed custom roms. Just haven't rooted this one due to laziness

Upvote 0
I had planned on getting a dock, maybe running a custom rom is the way to go. Every other Android device I have owned I have rooted and installed custom roms. Just haven't rooted this one due to laziness

Just be aware that doing so will require unlocking the bootloader, which will void your warranty, and might prevent best buy from accepting it as a return. Unlike the nexus tablet, unlocking is permanent thing and ASUS will know you did it. Not the case on the nexus tablet. Personally, I love my keyboard TF with dock, it makes it such an amazing device IMO, something that separates it from the rest.

Upvote 0
I bought my tablet right around thanks giving. best buy told that its so close to christmas they would extend my return rights until 1-26-13.

I am over all becoming more and more frustrated with my asus tablet. The lag is driving me nuts. I had considered buying the nexus 10 at the time, but decided that the dual core nexus would be laggy compared to the asus quad. Plus I like the micro sd port.

But with all my problems im having with the asus, flashing black line, crashing every other day, and extremely laggy. Im considering return it for the nexus.

Does anyone have the nexus 10? Would you recommend buying it? would should i buy?

I have a Transformer Infinity and I both love it and hate it. I love it when it runs right but in order to do that I constantly have to close recent programs and use the Task Manager as well as run it in Performance mode eating up battery. I happened to be in Walmart the other day and low and behold there was ONE Nexus 10 just begging to be purchased. Long story short I went home with my new present and have not touched my Infinity nor my iPad since. Things I may miss about the Infinity are the SD card slot and the keyboard option but having said that I have a 64gb Card in my Infinity with nothing on it and I don't own the keyboard dock.

The Nexus 10 is to Android what the iPad is to iOS. It is fast and fluid. Occasional hiccups occur with Chrome but nothing compared to the browser issues I have with my Infinity. Apps open up fast, Wifi is stable and flies on 5ghz, and Stock JellyBean is great. At first I was bleh about the build quality in comparison to the Infinity however the rubberized feel and curved edges make it way more comfortable to hold. To me it feels like a solid build even though it is understated (I would bet money Google and Samsung made a point to make it as un-Ipad-like as they could). The thing is a beast and puts all other tablets to shame. I almost feel guilty saying that within earshot of my Inifinty because I did love it so. Other plus of the Nexus 10..... Fast updates. No more waiting for Google to release it to Manufacturer and then Asus doing it's thing and months later getting a buggy update that requires another update. And the screen on this thing.... hard to describe how crisp it really is even compared to the Infinity's beautiful screen in it's own rights. And then to add icing to the cake the front facing speakers; No longer do I have to put on headphones or cup my hand over the rear speaker to make it reverberate anytime I want to hear actual dialog when watching say a Movie trailer. The speakers on this thing, while not perfect, blow away any other tablet experience. I am sure I will think of more things I love about this tablet in comparison to the Infinity but I am rambling at this point. I hope this helps.

P.S.
To make up for the lost SD card slot some are buying a micro USB to USB adapter and a usb SD card adapter but I opted to buy a Kingston WiDrive. I will let you know how it works when it arrives.

Upvote 0
I bought mine back in October and the Best Buy here took it back and gave me a new one because of the black line. So far I haven't seen it on this one. I like having the micro sd slot for my music if nothing else and the keyboard dock is a must have for me. The guy told me that I could also get another tablet if I wanted to but no refund. If the black line shows up on this one I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones