1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Thank God..Finally a good golf GPS app..

Last Updated:

1. alnova1

alnova1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Golfshot: Golf GPS is worth the $30 if you want an accurate gps plus good scoring and stats SINCE GOLFCARD WENT SOUTH! I had used Golfshot on the iPhone and its as good on android as it was on it. Battery life was good also. Golfshot Golf GPS For Android Now Available!

Advertisement
  2. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

No golf app is worth $30 IMO... GPS or not.

3. alnova1

Is for me...I got tired of mapping my own courses and inaccuracy.

4. OstrichSaK

I was just golfing Sunday morning out of state and at no point during the morning did I say to myself 'Gee, sure wish I had an app on my mobile phone that would map this course using GPS and I would be willing to pay up to $30USD for it'

In fact, if you are buying this you are missing the point of golfing to begin with.

5. VolsMcFalls

VolsMcFalls Well-Known Member

Skydroid is accurate between 1 and 3 yards for me when I use it. That's accurate enough for me. I'm no PGA Tour professional, so a 3 yard variance isn't going to affect my shot.

Plus, with Skydroid you get he satellite images so you can get yardages to hazards / doglegs.

6. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

[sarcasm]That's why no one has come out with $300 Golf Finders either.....because no one wants to spend the money......[/sarcasm].

$30 is nothing....

7. alnova1

Seems like you are..the course I was playing this weekend is poorly marked and it worked out great plus I like keeping my stats during the round. Just because you don't have $30 to spend on a golf GPS doesn't mean everyone else couldn't find the info useful to make the decision for themselves.

8. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

Golf Card Pro works great for me for $10, can't beat that:D

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Golf Digest GPS - Android app on AppBrain has pre-mapped courses.

If you know you are going to be playing a course and have enough lead time and it's not already mapped, you can request it to be mapped.

10. alnova1

I loved it till they made the changes to it. None of the courses were mapped after the update so I had to map the courses I knew but I found it tough to map out a course that you had never played before and really could tell which hole was which. It was a great app for me but I just got frustrated with none of the courses already being mapped.

11. alnova1

A buddy bought that one and he requested a course over 3 weeks ago and still nothing. I do like the way it looks though.

12. andygu3

That's the only downfall right now with mapping a new course. If you have not played the course you might be screwed!

But how do think oob golf got their large database for courses? Us, the users of the application, IPhone and Android users mapped the courses. I believe by next year, the database for Golf Card Pro will be right back to where it was with Oob. Just takes a little time. For $10, I can download as many courses as I want, which is a plus

13. OstrichSaK

This is a very foolish statement but thanks for assuming you know me personally well enough to know what it is I can and can't afford versus what I CHOOSE not to spend money on. :rolleyes:

14. gtvtreasures

gtvtreasures New Member

Golflogix is a great golf gps app and it is from garmin.

15. alnova1

I agree...I know the users did it for oob but I just couldn't find anything that I was playing in the Pinehurst area on our trip a month ago and just couldn't map them myself..just wasn't familiar with them enough. It will eventually come back I guess but I had used Golfshot on the iPhone and really liked it so I was glad to see it. I see that oob is making a app for android. Its already out for iphone. I still upload my scores to oob so I might give it a try when it comes out..I think its supposed to be a $1.99..good price!

16. alnova1

I used it for the 24 hour trial and it was real nice..great interface but it was a BIG battery drain and its a yearly fee I believe...Don't mind a one time fee but no yearly fee. Thats why I got rid of my Skycaddie.

17. andygu3

So after you played the courses in Pinehurst, did you map them for me? LOL:D
    Going down next spring

18. alnova1

LOL..No but they were on Skydroid and its only $1.99..You have that one? Its pretty good..

19. alnova1

By the way has anyone tried this one Birdi Golf Range Finder - Android app on AppBrain. It uses google maps and as long as the course is on the maps you can use it. It uses your location and you just point on the map to find your distance. It looks pretty good and its free!

20. andygu3

Like you said about mapping courses, it can be a pain but I got all the courses in Columbus, OH I need mapped. I probably won't try anything new now, especially since the courses are marked better than they ever were before

21. alnova1

Don't blame you but I think I'm gonna try that Birdi Golf Range finder since its free and it seems like a great idea.

22. jev

jev Well-Known Member

Just digged this thread back up. The oobgolf app may just cost $0.99 or $1.99, but... for the rangefinder to work you will need to pay another $20 per year to become an "Addict" member on oobgolf. In addition, it won't keep stableford scores which are the backbone to the EGA handicapping system in Europe. Not good for European users.

I'm now using golfshot. Great app, needs some getting used to but provides everything I need (except for chips - which is an important stat if you want to get quality information from your short game!).

23. EaglePress1

EaglePress1 Member

I have been using FreeCaddie and it is simple, and only provides the distance to front middle and back of the green, but it finds courses near you, and then you select to download. It would be nice to have maps though. Good luck.