Thankfully, not as nearly big as I feared

Last Updated:

1. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want as much screen real estate as I can get without the phone looking too cumbersome. The HTC incredible's overall size was nice but I felt the screen was a little too small. After reading so many impressions talking about the size of the droid x, I was beginning to think it might actually be a little too big.

After checking in at my local verizon store every day over the past week, I finally got to check out a demo unit of the droid x today. The rep who showed it to me was this tiny (5 ft max) women. The first thing I looked at was the size. Even in her small hands I could tell right away that it was not as big as I had feared. In fact, I didn't think it looked all that big in her hands. Then I got to hold it. Within 10 secs I knew I had to have this phone. The screen was very impressive. Maybe it's the narrower look of a true 16x9 size screen, but the phone looks a lot thinner than the HTC Evo. It felt good in my hand and was lighter than it looked.

I had also read opinions by some who saw demo units and were unimpressed by the build quality. I don't know how that could be the case. The build quality was really, really solid. You really can't see how refined and polished the product looks from videos on the net (and I've seen them all). The metal frame around the glass screen gives it a higher quality feel than all plastic phones like the incredible. Really, if you see these two phones next to each other like I did today, there's no contest. The x looked like it cost ten times as much as the incredible. You don't have to like the look of the phone, but it's really hard to deny the quality of the construction.

Initially, I wasn't going to get the phone on day one. I figured I'd wait a week and see if any problems surfaced. Screw that. This phone will be in my hands on thursday morning.

Advertisement
    nekoki likes this.
  2. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, you made a wise decision.

3. kishin14

It does feel wise, thanks.

4. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Very wise, but you still have a lot of growing to do. *gently strokes beard and flicks it!*

5. tbert

tbert Well-Known Member

Shhh, keep your favorable reviews to yourself! Didn't you hear about the DX shortage? jk.

6. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your feedback/thoughts

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. JazzMat

JazzMat Well-Known Member

As someone who has never been an "early adopter" -- in fact, I'm usually the last person to buy into anything new -- I can appreciate your reaction. Mine was the same. Hemming and hawing about buying it on release day... until I had an opportunity to hold one. Case closed. It's one seriously solid brick. I'll happily pick mine up on Thursday morning with no misgivings.

8. kishin14

I went from "eh, I get it when I get it" to "my alarm clock better do its frickin' job thursday morning."

I will be really, really bummed if I can't get this on release day.

9. drpotter2807

drpotter2807 Well-Known Member

I had the same "worries" as you did... until I held one in my hot little hands. I don't think I have heard ONE person say.." I'm not gonna go out and grab this thing" who has experienced it in the flesh.

10. kishin14

Yes, the phone is very... persuasive.

11. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

I had the same fear, I thought it would be too big but I experienced the same as you. It does not feel big when you hold it and it fit in my pocket fine and was much thinner than my current BB Tour.

12. JazzMat

JazzMat Well-Known Member

Hey, if Apple can talk people into believing they need something as ungainly as an iPad, Motorola should have no problem talking people into a Droid X.

13. fiskadoro

fiskadoro Well-Known Member

Narrower, thinner, even lighter than I expected. Manager of a local Verizon branch let me play with the phone for a bit today, and I came away a little more impressed than I expected. Admittedly, the screen lacks the vibrancy of the Incredible's AMOLED, but more than makes up for that in color accuracy, sharpness, and of course most importantly, size. It's also going to need more time and effort customizing because I found the stock Motorola widgets rather dull compared to the stock HTC ones, but I've got no problem with that as there are so many nice alternatives in the Market. I was also extremely impressed with its initial build quality. My Inc now feels a tad 'plasticky', not that it's a bad phone by any means, the X just felt a bit tougher. I'm considering swapping out my Inc for an X simply because I'm within my first 30 days, however if I was past the 30 day thing, I doubt I would have. I'm not sure it's a step up from the Inc, merely just a bit more suitable for me personally. But for new customers or upgraders, it's practically a no-brainer... until next year of course!

14. 2009m6

2009m6 Well-Known Member

embrace the power of the darkside

[​IMG]

15. 2009m6

2009m6 Well-Known Member

hehe that is EXACTLY how i have viewed these comparisons. same goes with itouch4 vs X. Except the itouch has the vibrant screen, but cant make calls reliably.

At the end of the day, the X is THE BEST mobile communication/entertainment device out

16. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

i hate when that is the case.....

lol all kidding aside i hope it fits in my hand well also. I think it will.

17. jweber

jweber Active Member

After holding the demo in my hand tonight I feel the same way... It's size is perfect, feels great, and very comfortable to hold.

If your concerned about the size don't be... it fits very well even in my wifes hands(she's 5' 4" and has tiny hands)

18. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

Yea, but this was the rep!
    [​IMG]

19. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

20. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Is the build quality better than the 1st Droid? I never liked that one.
    I've got the EVO now and I'll probably trade that in for the Edge, but just wanted a little more feedback about the X.

21. LessFilling

LessFilling Active Member

That is hysterical!

22. AJ_EVO

AJ_EVO Well-Known Member

I'm glad that several people have reported this. I had an Evo for two weeks and said to myself, "This is the biggest phone I would want to carry." Then I saw side-by-side photos of the Evo and Droid X and got a little worried. Thankfully, most seem to agree that the width and thickness of the X make it feel smaller than the Evo in your hand.

23. navigatn

navigatn Member

That's how I felt with the evo. At first it felt nice and compact. But a couple weeks in, it started to feel cumbersome and inconvient for one handed use. Got to the point it was annoying and made me go back to my dinc. Now this feels much more natural in my hands. I could use something a bit bigger, but the evo was just too big and the x is even bigger. I'm gonna test drive the x for a few weeks and see how that goes.

Hope it works out for u.

24. navigatn

navigatn Member

edit double post

25. un8elievable

un8elievable Member

lol, i was thinking the same thing. i keep teling my wife that her hands are extraordinarily big:D