• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thanks for all involved in CIQ removal

Riotpump

Oct 31, 2011
Chicago
Just wanted to say I appreciate all the ROM developers who take the time to get rid of CIQ. Did some research todayCarrier IQ :: Overview after being disgusted that Steam was hacked recently. I had no idea that CarrierIQ was a third party company that Sprint/Boost, Verizon and other carriers use to collect so much information on our phone usage. Originally thought it was something the carriers created in-house. Just literally grateful that it is gone from my phone. I don't ever want to feel like I'm being bent over by a third party contractor again.

Currently testing CTMod 2.0, though Hroark's CM7 is my daily driver. No CIQ in that or ShabbyMod 0.9, though I want to say it was gone back in either .8 or .7. Actually it may have been when I switched to Blood's Simply Blue theme that removed it. Haven't used Odin this much ever going back and forth between ROM's. I did literally wait though until a noCIQ ROM was released, prior to testing out the latest Prevail update.

Upvote 0
Currently testing CTMod 2.0, though Hroark's CM7 is my daily driver. No CIQ in that or ShabbyMod 0.9, though I want to say it was gone back in either .8 or .7. Actually it may have been when I switched to Blood's Simply Blue theme that removed it. Haven't used Odin this much ever going back and forth between ROM's. I did literally wait though until a noCIQ ROM was released, prior to testing out the latest Prevail update.

All of the shabbymods have ciq in them unless you used my remover/theme

Btw there's no reason for me to make a new remover right now, the rom has to be deodexd and I have the only gb rom out atm

Upvote 0
All of the shabbymods have ciq in them unless you used my remover/theme

Btw there's no reason for me to make a new remover right now, the rom has to be deodexd and I have the only gb rom out atm

Thanks for the confirmation Blood. Figured it was your theme that took it out. Then you fully understand what CIQ is all about. Hmm this Chicken is pretty good :D

Upvote 0
The "people" have won this round. Vindication for the developer that put CIQ on blast. They even issued a formal apology and dropped their suit. Though of course the lies on what CIQ actually does and does not do continue. Gotta love when a company just keeps thinking if they say something long enough that people will believe it. The Storm Is Not Over Yet – Lets Talk About #CIQ | xda-developers

Reactions: 76ford90lx
Upvote 0
Yeah what's even more disturbing is that this is not just related to Android phones. Both Blackberry and Nokia smartphones have CIQ on them as well. At this point I won't even upgrade to another smartphone, unless there is a ROM/flashable theme available for it that has No-CIQ. Almost makes you want to go back to a featurephone, lol.

Reactions: 76ford90lx
Upvote 0
Big ups to [ACS] for releasing youtube videos a week or so ago about ciq's threatening letter to
TREV E.. You guys do awsome work.. This software is ridiculous and has to fit somewhere into
catagory of illeagal wire tapping.. A clear violation of all rites.. And disserves the longest disscussion
thread in history..

Upvote 0
Apparently Boost did not install this scurge on the ZTE warp.

Has anyone confirmed this yet?? Since its sprint I would guess that its installed on the warp.. The prevail doesnt show ciq unless you logcat it sending the the information.. Unlike the HTC that was in the video mentioned in the article above.. I would definatly run a cat on the device to make sure..

Reactions: Rarewolf
Upvote 0
Has anyone confirmed this yet?? Since its sprint I would guess that its installed on the warp.. The prevail doesnt show ciq unless you logcat it sending the the information.. Unlike the HTC that was in the video mentioned in the article above.. I would definatly run a cat on the device to make sure..

You can see it running under running services on the prevail

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones