• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thanks, Verizon, for more fees!

So this will be on top of the existing upgrade fees of 40$ for subsidized upgrades?
Looks like you only get one charge for each situation, so 2 year subsidized upgrades would charge $40.

Looks like BYOP is still free, for now. Unless I am not reading it correctly (highly likely!).
Yeah, BYOP sounds like Customer Provided Equipment so I'm also reading it as no charge for BYOP.

Upvote 0
Nexus, get em while they're hot. Buy and sell on Swappa and let your contracts expire. It hasn't been worth it for some time now unless you're one who needs the $700 retail device.
Love Swappa. Just got a Moto X Pure for a great price. I've been contract-less for years now with Verizon. Only way to fly these days.

Upvote 0
yeah, in my 20-25 years of Verizon, I am usually Contract Free... not always, but usually.

the fee for non-contract phones is $10 cheaper per month.

the "upgrade fee" ??
I have been able to talk them out of that every time I change phones, I don't pay it.... not with me being a long time customer with them... all it takes is "hey, I've been with you guys since sliced bread was made, if you insist on charging me that $40 upgrade fee, then I'm gone... turn my service off now" and somehow, they credit my account for that amount...

there are "no costs" to them for us changing a phone, all it takes is a simple click in the data profile and their computers are just as happy as can be. all they are doing is changing the MEID so that they know who you are and can direct an incoming phone call to you.... and of course, make sure to bill you for excess data charges :)

Upvote 0
If you need to use Verizon towers and don't want to pay their prices Page Plus is another option:
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

$29 - 1500 minutes, unlimited text, 1GB data.
$39 - unlimited talk/text, 1.5GB (then throttled)
$55 - unlimited talk/text, 5GB (then throttled)

Although Straight Talk with Verizon towers that @Digital Controller mentioned is a better deal if you use lots of data:
https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/serviceplans

$45 - unlimited talk/text, 5GB (then throttled)
$55 - unlimited talk/text, 10GB (then throttled)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones