-that- quake comparison video

Last Updated:

1. supman

supman Member This Topic's Starter

This video is all over twitter like a rash.

Sure technology moves on and the galaxy is ahead on the specs but does this video give a true representation of the difference?

YouTube - ???S vs HTC Desire 3D ?? ??, Galaxy S

Thing is, I don't play games but I'm interested as a desire owner, and I've seen noone really challenge the authenticity of the video.

Advertisement
  2. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member

OUCH Lag City.

Shame. I REALLY wanted to get Quake II for my desire, but if it plays this badly :eek:(

I'm suprised. I thought the Desire was supposed to be the Mutts Nuts when it came to speed. What with the Snapdragon Processor.

Andy

3. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

It is the lag due to the frame rate. This is one big fix that Google has stated has been sorted in 2.2.

4. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

We'll get 2.2 first :p

They're both great phones, each having some advantages over the other.

5. sansenoy

sansenoy Member

Sorry folks, but froyo won't fix much when it comes to 3d gaming, but it really doesn't matter, we won't see proper android games for a while anyway...

6. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

I thought 2.2 would improve framerates 2x-5x?

7. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member

That's what I heard.

Oh well. Back to the waiting game.

Andy

8. bozzer

bozzer Active Member

I think you will find its more to do with optimisation of drivers within the android platform iself which are written by HTC.

I installed Quake 2 on my Desire and it was just like that...if there was any onscreen light flashes it would lag to less than a frame a second. I though this was dissapointing.

HOWEVER, if you install Kwaaak3 (and I have), the quake 3 port for android, it runs on my HTC Desire as good as, and if not better than the Galaxy S version of Quake 2 with frame rates around the 20fps mark. Now, when you consider that the engine is newer and the textures and polygon counts are miles higer, then it proves the Desire has no issue in running opengl rendered code assuming that at a hadware abstraction level gets the right calls.

9. Adebisi

Adebisi Well-Known Member

I like mobile games but without a dedicated game controller 1st person, 3rd person and driving games are pants.

10. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

my only question about this is whether the 2 handsets were comparably set up? that is, are they both in an 'out of the box' state, or has one been 'optimised' and the other not?