The 1 thing I hate about my Desire

Last Updated:

1. atmasters

atmasters Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love my phone but the one thing I cant stand is the internal memory. I am with Telus and they have not launched 2.2 and I don't know enough about the phone to root it. It just sucks that HTC would have such limited memory for apps ? I am always deleting apps to make room for another app and tell you the truth I don't have a lot of apps lol. Just bugs me since I would like to buy a game but need to save the memory :( other than that I love my phone :)

Advertisement
  2. longNZ

longNZ Member

in the same boat buddy! i am reluctant to try and ROOT mine, as they say there is a risk you could brick your phone!!!

3. atmasters

atmasters Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know that is why I dont want to mess with it at this point.

4. SpicyTacoto

SpicyTacoto Well-Known Member

I'm also with TELUS and have the desire. I upgraded to 2.2 without rooting. I used the official upgrade and a gold card and voila! The process debranded my phone but it is not rooted. Can't say enough about froyo. Huge improvement!

At any rate, I've read 2.2 will roll out to TELUS desire owners in mid-october if you can hang in just a bit longer.

5. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Froyo will be out in October according to the Telus website. If you can't wait, why not flash it to Froyo with the generic HTC firmware? It will update to the fully supported and official Froyo version without any branding. All other updates will come faster directly from HTC too. I did it and it works great, and it gave me more options and opened EDGE data for me too.

Teppic74 has the instructions and download location:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/148932-froyo-ruu-update-available.html

6. smoore22

smoore22 Member

I agree with bfksc. I upgraded using the same approach about 3 weeks ago and haven't looked back. It is easy and the improvments are significant. As bfksc indicates I am now able to get edge data in Thunder Bay where Rogers (I have unlocked the phone) has no 3G service at the moment. I also found that the radios improved significantly. There are a number of other improvments as well.

7. naz78

naz78 Member

Thanks for the information.

Can you please help me out? I went to the link you provided and I'm a little confused as to what I should do?

It looks like I need to update to 2.2 then apply a second update that has been provided by HTC according to the author text quoted below:

"HTC has released a new Froyo OTA update. You can install this directly as an RUU. You may need the latest version of HTC Sync for this version. There appear to be a lot of issues installing this RUU due to drivers. I'd recommend you install the earlier version and update OTA to this version (you can do this manually too)."

Can you help me out with a "for dummy" guide like a step by step?

What do I use? Windows or save a file to the phone then run it?

Thanks in advance

8. naz78

naz78 Member

Hey,

Are you saying you can't get 3G after the update? I'm with Fido and i get 3G in ontario but I'm still on 2.1

Can you please clarify?

9. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

No you don't need to run both, just run the later update as I mentioned before.
    There really is no need for me to repeat the details. Read the instructions thoroughly...everything you need to know is there with the instructions.

Or if you're not confident running the update file, follow this one which you put on your SD scard to update instead:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/177907-froyo-2-09-405-8-update-windows-not-required.html

Read the instructions thoroughly, everything you need to know is there.
    :)

10. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

No, the 3G works fine. Read the posts thoroughly and you'll find he means that there is no 3G service there, but the 3G on the phone works just fine.

11. naz78

naz78 Member

Thank you very much sir. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

BTW, after the update edge was showing in addition to 3G right? Assuming you are on Rogers as well.

12. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Yes.