• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

THE Android GPS thread - all GPS available for Android HERE!

Ok, GPS functionality is VERY important to me, and I've been doing research on it for my phone (Motorola Milestone) and there's a bunch of different options available - none of which are good for me here in Canada at the moment. But, I'll try and update this thread regularly as new info becomes available.

CURRENT GPS OPTIONS FOR ANDROID O/S PHONES :

AndNav
- No longer supported? (web site shows last update July, 2009)
AndNav1 ( search apps market for: andnav )
- FREE
- based on Google Maps- provides "static navigation", which is based on user input (e.g. start and end points), but not on live GPS data.
AndNav2 ( AndNav.org - Android Navigation System )
- FREE
- screenshots: AndNav Beta Photos
from Wiki: "This is where AndNav2 comes into play. AndNav2 is based on free map data provided by OpenStreetMap (OSM) so that it can provide real-time audible turn-by-turn route guidance. AndNav2 has unique features, such as Text-2-Speech, an accessibility-study (aka 'Where can I get in 30 minutes') or avoiding customizable areas (e.g. traffic-jams or a broken bridge), TpegML Traffic-Feeds and more. AndNav2 will also contribute back GPS traces to the OSM project, so when you have driven an unknown route, expect it to be up online within a week or even sooner. AndNav1 and AndNav2 fully interact with all the capabilities provided by the Android platform: Text-2-Speech, accessing your contacts, high-quality graphics and fast internet access, all combined in an easy-to-use interface. "

CoPilot Live
(apps market search "copilot" )
- $29.99 (no trial available)
- voice turn by turn navigation
- live weather info
- phone-stored maps for USA/Canada (no monthly fees)
- 2GB memory card required, 2GB map download
YouTube vids: LINK1 , LINK 2

Google Maps with Navigation (beta) (http://www.google.com/mobile/maps/ )
(app market search: google maps)
- free
- no downloadable maps: it streams them via data (potentially very expensive without unlimited data plan)

MapDroyd (app market search: mapdroyd)
- free
- completely downloadable maps (no data required I believe)
- no navigation
- you have to zoom WAY in to get street names (or even street graphics of non-main streets)

MotoNav
(comes with Motorola Milestone (at least it does here on Telus in Canada))
- one-time charge: $49.99 North America / $69.99 Europe, extra for more maps
- downloadable maps (very little data required)
- SLUGGISH (even text entry screens have lag on Motorola Droid/Milestone)
- info from: https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/20061?start=0&tstart=0
"Motonav for the US and Canada bundle costs $49.99 USD. This gives you the license for TBT navigation, traffic, 3D landmarks,elevation, city maps, POIs and the option to download a map update within 60 days from the day of your purchase." The "2yr" lifetime refers to support that they'll give for the current version, but I'm told by a Motonav rep that the product WILL continue to work.

Sygic Mobile Maps ( Sygic Mobile Maps - turn your mobile phone into car navigation device )
- 62.99EU for North America version
YouTube demo vids: YouTube - sygic mobile maps

_______________LISTINGS BELOW ARE CURRENTLY STILL BEING DEVELOPED________________

Navigon
(NAVIGON. And the world is yours)
- currently only for iPhone but an Android version is in the works
- NAVIGON Mobile Navigator: 79.99 $
- NAVIGON Mobile Navigator MyRegion: now only 24.99 $ (purchase maps just for your region)
more on this here NAVIGON AG - MobileNavigator - iPhone

TomTom ( TomTom app for iPhone and iPod touch - TomTom GPS sat nav -- iPhone release)
- currently only for iPhone but an Android version is in the works (iPhone link above - Android features and pricing may be similar)

Nav N Go Igo ( Nav N Go - Software Development for Mobile Devices )
- no more info on this yet, or what Nav N Go software works on Android

** Some of the above information may be WAY off, and is only to the best of my knowledge at present. I'll update it continually as I learn more! Please post any comments/corrections in this thread, and please be kind, I'm trying my best :eek:

Seams you are missing Telenav (Not available in the market, only available on their website.) It is $9.99 per month which is pricey but could be a short term solution for those waiting on OS upgrades happening soon. I used this for about a year on my G1. Works Okay and has lots of additional features like searching for business along route and gas by price. Also a downloadable toolbar for windows PCs that allow you to highlight an address on any web page and sync it to your phone via web.

Reactions: DarkSky
Upvote 0
You should include Orux Maps. It's free. Maps from many sources all over the world can be downloaded by a desktop PC program for free and loaded on the Android for future use. It works great for hiking with free USGS topo maps.

Plus it works with Google maps if you have a data connection but not as a turn by turn driving directions tool although it does show traffic.

OruxMaps

OruxMaps is a map viewer. It can work in two modes: online with google maps, and offline, with calibrated maps for OruxMaps
If you want to work offline, you need to calibrate your own maps. It is neccesary:

• Create a map from scratch with a customized version of TB Atlas Creator (See the download section)
  • OruxMapsDesktop + image (the map) + coordinates of the four corners
  • OruxMapsDesktop + a calibrated map for OziExplorer. There are a lot of applications that allow you to create Ozi maps (see Links section)

• Online map viewer (Google Maps)
  • Offline map viewer. There is an application that lets you create calibrated maps for OruxMaps (see Download and Manual page).
  • Offline layered maps.
  • Map rotation, with compass or your direction.
  • Map autoload, when leaving current map, or when a more detailed map is found in current position.
  • TrackLog: Record your tracks (gpx, kml format)
  • View old tracks/routes (gpx and kml format)
  • Analize tracks/routes
  • Zoom
  • Save and edit Waypoints
  • Upload your Tracks to Everytrail.com
  • Live Tracking with MapMyTracks.com
  • Show coordinates, header, speed, altitude, ...
  • And this is only the beginning!

Reactions: DarkSky
Upvote 0
I purchased Copilot sort of on a whim. A friend of mine works for ALK, so I figured I would give it a shot. I am happy with it so far. More Garmin-like (if there is such a word) than Google Nav, coming from a Nuvi user.

Going on vacation this week and really going to give it a workout. It was half the price of updating the maps on my Nuvi.

Upvote 0
Telenav and Waze added to the list. I was going to ad OruxMaps but it doesn't seem to have any actual street navigation features, which is kind of what this thread was for. There's all sorts of GPS location software out there, but I really want to keep this thread focused on GPS + navigation: stuff you can use so you don't have to buy a GPS unit.

I had the pleasure of trying out CoPilot 8 today, and was pleasantly surprised! Interface is quick and responsive, GPS updates fast and seems accurate. The interface itself is a BIT large. Lots of config/menu screens and easy to get lost in the config during your first times using it. For instance, it went to a small map screen with a bunch of extra stuff showing on the sides/bottom, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it back to the big map view. (still dunno how without restarting the app) But for a flat fee of 30 bucks, it seems very reasonable. Map screen while your driving is very similar to a Garmin screen (which is what I'm looking for as that's what I'm used to). Very happy with my test of it so far.

Upvote 0
That new Aura product by Sygic looks nice, but I don't think it's available for Android yet. It lists Android as a supported OS, but all the pictures show an iphone :(. Now if only they had a decent POI database.

AFAIK it hasn't been released yet, even for the iPhone. Whole Aura website is a "Coming soon" teaser. I agree it looks promising. There are Sygic Mobile Maps available for the Android, however.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how to enter a 'live view' with CoPilot where even if a destination isn't entered, I can just go to a map and have my updated location shown? (the same way tapping the "My Location" feature on GoogleMaps works)

reason being, I don't have unlimited data and can't use Googlemaps for this as it would quickly use up my allocated monthly data bandwidth. CoPilot stores the maps on the phone so no data xfer is necessary.

Upvote 0
Another app to put in the "in development" section is BackCountry Navigator. It uses free to download topo maps, street maps, aerial photography, etc. for offline use. I'm hoping to use it to get into geocaching when it's done. The progress so far looks good, but I don't have a timeline for when it will be completed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones