The Application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly.

Last Updated:

1. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I got this error today, and thought I'd share my woe. Some quick internet searches suggest it to be a fairly common issue on Android phones.

Basically, when it happens, this error pops up when you turn your phone on, and the phone won't boot up.

There's nothing you can do other than hard-reset, unfortunately, by switching it off, holding down both volume buttons, and then switching it on. You then select 'clear user data'.

I'm somewhat peeved, as it'll take me hours to get my phone set up again, but I'm happy it's alive again!

Oh, and this time I'm going to make a backup. :-/

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about it being a common issue. I've experienced it but only with home replacements/modded launchers/custom ROMs and generally experimental apps that weren't even designed for my phone anyway. Never did happen to me on a stock N1, though then again a stock N1 doesn't do Sense.

Issues to investigate:

1) What widgets are you using? Certain ones may be coded badly and can cause launcher to FC.

2) Do you have any home replacement installed?

Kendoji likes this.
  3. Kendoji

Well, by 'common' I just mean that when I googled the error message I got many results from various forums, with different Android phones having the same issue.

All the apps and widgets I'm using are fairly standard i.e. among the most popular ones in the app store, and I've never had home replacements or modded roms.

The only questionable thing I installed recently was a modified version of Google Maps that enables turn-by-turn navigation (not available here in NL). Could be that, I suppose.

In any case, it has taught me to make backups.

4. grainysand

Still, care to list your widgets? Even some of the more popular ones can cause issues; for a while, More Icons widget (fairly well-known) caused FCs like there was no tomorrow. Better Cut does it sometimes, too.

5. Kendoji

Hmm well I'm not a big widget user - but ones I've had running are (HTC) Calendar, BatteryTime Lite, Touchdown, SilentMode OnOff and Power Control.

Btw you sound like either work for Google or HTC, and/or you're an Android developer - is that right?

6. grainysand

Nah, just an ordinary user like you and everyone else. I'm flattered, though. :)

The HTC widgets and stock power control widget shouldn't be giving you trouble, but I'd take a look at BatteryTime. You should also note that widgets/apps that monitor your battery percentage are quite a drain on the battery itself. Also look up Startup Auditor from the market: it gives you control over which apps should start up on boot, and which apps should/shouldn't auto-start thereafter. Very useful, and improves performance too. Alternatively, grab a home replacement--I recommend home++ or HelixLauncher--and try it out for a while, see if that improves stability (so you'll know whether it's the fault of some stray widgets or Sense itself being an ass).

With that said, I'm surprised it FCed on you at all, though. From my time trying out a Desire ROM ported to the N1, Sense never did that to me (despite not even being meant to run on the N1 to start with). Anything you've installed lately? Some task killers wreak havoc with the launcher.

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

its definitely not a common android issue, it only applies to HTC phones, and its not even a common HTC issue. I think the majority of problems involving this are due to people not understanding android, and using a task killer without thinking!

Are you using a task killer btw?

8. spotlessmind

spotlessmind New Member

I too have had some problems regarding this. At first the pinch to zoom didn't work correctly on the home screens. I just blocked the phone, then unblocked and it worked. Today I got the htc launcher stopped error. I forced stopped it and the it launched again with no problems. What I know is that the problem occured when I had the calendr (HTC) widget on the home scrrena and when I worked with it (looking at events).

9. ryan250

ryan250 New Member

I have figered out that 2.1 android has 3 pages on the main menu allowed and launcherpro allows up to 7 pages - this is not allowed and makes the system unstable
    since it is the main menu to see apps your F$%^
    in my case as i have a epad and do not know how to reload a good launcher
    I did try to put a new launcher on a usb stick, but it did not boot, wifi and usb recognice work. If i get the launcherpro to stop crashing I have a screen with no APPS
    HELP!!!!!!!
    This is a commion all 2.1 android os

If you want to change back, to original just go to Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications, tap on LauncherPro, and choose "Clear Default" or simply uninstall it.

Lucky you if it works or on a cold reset

this is the solution I think but how can u get to a menu app when there is no menu??

10. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had this happen happen on my Motorola Charm, I had the Motoblur launcher FC on bootup and it sat there on the "android" load screen for ages and worked fine after a factory reset. Could be preloaded widgets or apps causing it, or possibly if your phone is carrier branded.