The Archos 101 looks interesting

Last Updated:

1. gerifalte

gerifalte Member

We finally hear it from the source!
    Availability... | Facebook

"Official ARCHOS, Inc. Availability update: The ARCHOS 70 internet tablet will be available on next week. The ARCHOS 101 internet tablet will be available on the week of 11/8."

I guess it's official then!

2. norm807

norm807 Active Member

I contacted TD today to switch which credit card I was going to use and he said he couldn't do it because the sku was lock(locked to stop preorders) and if he did anything it would pull me out of line. The second part of our conversation was about the shipments. He said they have 400 16g 101 coming in and around 200 preorders so there would be enough to cover all current 16gb preorders, but the shipment on the 25th has yet to be registered into the system, so he believes it hasn't come. He also said that they have two more shipments coming, one tomorrow and then the 15th.

I get the feeling the dates are correct, but the shipments are not coming in..

Here's hoping I am not right..
  3. mjf1

mjf1 Well-Known Member

I originally pre-ordered a 101 with 16 gb but then changed my order to an 8 gb model for the following rationale:

I plan to load everything possible on an external 16 gb or 32 gb card (apps, music, books, etc.). I can then back up the card to a computer. I realize that some entire apps and even some small portions of apps get installed into main memory, but my view is that if something gets really badly messed up, the probability is that it will be on the external card and all I would have to do is blow it away and reload it from my backup instead of risking serious software damage to the unit.

Any thoughts?
  4. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

I just canceled my pre-order from because I did a little more research and found that they lied a good deal on when items where actually going to be delivered.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to pre-order the Archos 101 8gb? I really want to get it in as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I live in the USA.
  5. SlvrScoobie

SlvrScoobie Well-Known Member

Just got this info back from
    I asked about expected delivery for US customers....
    "We are expecting them early NOV. Also I will ship from state side to avoid customs delays
    Hotmp3gear/computer Innovations"
    irishpride likes this.
  6. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

i talked to someone at tigerdirect a minute ago that said they should be back up for order on monday the first, i plan on ordering one then. however i'll be checking for other options in the meantime.
  7. jtbnet

jtbnet Well-Known Member

The consensus over on archosfans seems to be that tigerdirect/compusa/computercity would be the best bet... some questions as to whether their supply arrived a couple days ago due to doing inventory but there are still supervisors there saying pre-orders are expected to Ship on Monday 11/1...
  8. crimton

its seems as though all of those places are sold out at the moment, i'd rather not order from some random place i've never heard of
  9. SlvrScoobie

Im thinking about the place I mentioned as it seems like he would have one to preorder. That way when i MISS out when tigerdirect goes live, or has to wait till shipment #2 I dont get stuck waiting - wishing i had a chance to order it now.
  10. crimton

its tempting, i just emailed that place asking about there inventory(if they have enough units to fill orders) and also when they would ship out by. and they will send a free hdmi with it, not much but still.
  11. irishpride

When did they say they were shipping out by?
  12. SlvrScoobie

well heck, for the 10$ i was going to spend on one @ tiger direct, its worth it! :D

Oh and he said theyre taking pre orders @ FYI
  13. crimton

Internet Tablet Comparison the twitter page sends you here for pre order. the guy here said they still have units for pre order available and expect them early november. where is everyone else getting theirs?
  14. johnnewhouse

johnnewhouse Well-Known Member

does anyone know if its been confirmed how much RAM and ROM the Archos 101 has?

both 512 and 256 has been mentioned.

i am not worried about trying to get later versions of Android installed on it, i am more interested in the amount of programs i can keep on it at any one time.
  15. crimton

just ordered an 8gb 101 from this place for 299, wish me luck!
  16. SlvrScoobie

I ordered the 16gb from there - lets hope they get them soon
  17. norm807

norm807 Active Member

256, this has been confirmed by the few that actually have them in hand on the archosfans forums.
  18. crimton

well that pretty much closes the door on gingerbread then...thats ok this tablet with froyo will be a good first tablet until something else comes out may first of next year sometime.
  19. crimton

i see where tigerdirect is now selling the 16gb again. i bet we'll get them just as quick from this place though since we are guaranteed a tablet from the first batch.
  20. SlvrScoobie

and a free mini HDMI cable
    which will work well for my droid X too =D
  21. SlvrScoobie

22. anthonygobot

anthonygobot Well-Known Member

So where do you get those links? When I go to and do a search, neither of the Archos (70 and 101) show up.
  23. neudof

neudof Active Member

Tiger direct currently has the 16GB listed ($349.99), but not the 8GB
  24. crimton

i couldn't find them by searching the TD website either, i had to use the link above. does anyone know if any archos tablets have been rooted? i am hoping to see some developement for my new tablet.

also TD shouldn't be advertising them to have 2.2 if they ship with 2.1...
  25. irishpride

As far as I know none of the gen8 tablets have been rooted, but considering the following that they already have, I'm sure it won't be long.