The Archos 101 looks interesting

1. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

I hope so, I'm ready to root and get a custom recovery so I can start flashing roms and themes and whatever else is possible.
  2. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

I got the coin stashed to order one, guess I'll check TigerDirect tomorrow to see if they have the 8BG unit for sale.
  3. SlvrScoobie

SlvrScoobie Well-Known Member

So what about Side loading apps? I kinda assumed it would do it, since I have a X and I can, but learned that AT&T doesnt allow it so im wondering if this will.
  4. FrayAdjacent

Scoob, I think that's how people have added the Google Market app to the Archos devices. Get the .apk on the device and install it.
  5. crimton

check with archos.ca thats where i ordered mine. they have 8gb models available for pre order.
  6. SlvrScoobie

awesome - havent been over there yet, so i wasnt sure if it was a custom rom or something more "invasive" than a side load.
    Wonder how all these 400x800 apps will look at 1024x600...
  7. jtbnet

jtbnet Well-Known Member

Most look pretty good... using ZT-180 with Market add... depends on developer... most scale clean... a few aren't as well implemented...
  8. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

Just talked to the guy I ordered mine from on ebay and he said that he has them at his house right now and they will be shipping out tomorrow morning! Man, I can't wait until I get this tablet, this wait was starting to feel like the wait for the Incredible.
  9. crimton

i hope that means that other vendors are getting their shipments in as well. i ordered from archos.ca and the guy said he'd ship it the day he gets them. i don't want to keep bugging him so i'm hoping that day is soon.
  10. crimton

11. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

I plan on getting the Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB, probably from Archos itself. They said they'd be on their site this week and that seems to be more of a sure thing over TigerDirect since I didn't pre-order. I'm pretty pumped to put all of my music on it. I'll probably use it instead of my Evo anytime I'm around Wifi. I'm the type who will carry it with me everywhere I go, lol.
  12. irishpride

13. SlvrScoobie

Emailed the .ca guy this AM and he said they were expected early nov. so I dont think they got anything in today. Tigerdirect is still not showing anything. Wonder if that Nov 8th date for the Archos.com is going to hold true for other retailers too :(
  14. mjf1

mjf1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the recommended class for the external micro SDHC card on the Archos 101? I am watching for sales while I await delivery of my unit.

tx
  15. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the touted app space left on the tablets (I think 182 is the number now, assuming Froyo is installed) INCLUDE the bloatware that they put on it? I mean, who needs a Wikipedia app when you can just book mark it? I wouldn't expect that to free up much space but the 3d games and other garbage might.
  16. irishpride

It has been confirmed to have 256mb of RAM, not 182.
  17. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

I said total app space, not RAM.
  18. FrayAdjacent

Nothing on TigerDirect or the US Archos site. Perhaps we won't see anything until next Monday?

Sorry, I just don't quite trust that hotmp3gear site... any site that looks like it was written in 1998 just doesn't cry "I'm secure!" to me.

Edit to add... at least that site uses PayPal... I might have a little more trust... Would just like to know for sure when they will be getting stock and when they can ship.

Added more: I emailed them to inquire about the shipping date. Will update if they respond.
  19. mjf1

mjf1 Well-Known Member

Although I have not received my order yet, I can confirm that when I requested a change from the 16gb to the 8gb model, I received confirmation of my credit from Paypal in a matter of minutes. So, they seem to be reliable. And they are listed on the main Archos website as the Canadian distributor.
  20. mjf1

mjf1 Well-Known Member

I checked with the supplier - it's for a tablet that is 2 inches wider than the Archos 101 (do I hear "IPAD or clone"?). Also, if you look closely at the picture with the keyboard, the plastics quality looks really poor (dented).

EDIT: 1.2 inches difference, not 2 inches.
  21. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

And now the viewsonic makes it to market first.

Did anyone looking at the 101 change their mind?
  22. anthonygobot

anthonygobot Well-Known Member

Wish we knew if 3.0 was going to be an option.
  23. FrayAdjacent

Actually now I'm leaning toward the ViewSonic GTablet. While the interface overlay seems cumbersome, I bet it can be removed after the market gets it's hands on 'em. It's $79 more, but has more RAM and 16GB internal storage...
  24. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

It's only $30 more than the 16GB Archos, isn't it?

The 512MB ram has me leaning that way.
  25. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

tiger direct has delayed shipment until 11/19/10 for 101