The BACKUP before 2.1Support

Last Updated:

1. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I was one of the ppl that used MyBackup (and another) before I went from CJ05 to CL14 and basically had to reinstall everything that I had installed from the market (free apps). I was curious what the best method people had found to back their data up since 2.1, I hear, will wipe out our phones.

Recommendations?

Advertisement
  2. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

It's a real pain, but you're better off installing all the free apps via the market rather than using a backup service. That way the market knows you have them installed and can let you know when there's updates available. You won't get those updates in your "my downloads" list if you install outside of the market.

I use an app called "app dragon" that inventories all my installed apps and emails me a list of what I have installed. It's very effective for what it does. I also use MyBackupPro for the backups, no complaints there for the data.

3. ColdStart

ColdStart Well-Known Member

I use a free app from the market called AppList. It creates a .txt file on your SD card of all the installed apps from the market along with their url.

4. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

I use atrackdog to check for updates on my reinstalled apps after losing my data and apps.

5. droidjohn

droidjohn Member

what do you all use to backup your contact lists and text messages and call logs?

my phone is rooted and would like to know how to do that before i jump to 2.1 when it comes out or is leaked

6. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

mybackuppro. It's great for data, but iffy with apps

7. thepinkc

thepinkc Well-Known Member

I use SMS Backup (free) to backup my SMS messages daily.

Listables (free) creates an HTML file, complete with QR codes of each app installed, so I can quickly reinstall them if I need to.

8. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Mybackup backs up your contacts but if you're looking to back up your call log and text, I would suggest wavesecure. Also, using your gmail will restore your contacts too. The gmail that your phone is synced to will restore somethings for you when you first sign in with it.

9. decalex

Hm, I forgot when I went to CL14, but, when all of my contacts are restored (using gmail address), does it restore the call log as well? I pretty much use Google Voice for everything, but, god forbid they'd have the app interface with the phone data...

10. AlkiDweller

AlkiDweller Well-Known Member

Contacts: Sync with Gmail
    Texts: Delete threads.
    Call Logs: Who cares?

11. kiddk1

kiddk1 Well-Known Member

I use this also, but if you do not reinstall from the market, updates will not show, I use app dragon also

12. Mw182006

Mw182006 Well-Known Member

Ditto

13. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

I used mybackup for the cl14 update, and it lost 4 apps which I can't get back (not avail on market anymore?) and it messed up my contacts. Only thing it worked for was text messages. I'm not technologically inept so this surprised me. I can't recommend it.

When all was said and done, I don't think most of us will miss out on much by starting over with a wipe and just re-importing whatever our gmail accounts has saved.

14. dreamingofsheep

dreamingofsheep Member

If you've installed on of the custom firmwares from the guys at sdx like speedrabbit. Is there any special procedure to upgrade to 2.1 when it comes out? Do you have to go back to the stock or something like that?

15. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

Good question. I think that it will just replace the kernals that we have. I'm not too worried about it. When the update comes out I'm going to re-box my phone, get all the cables and books packaged up, and even put the screen covers back on (if it will still stick) and treat it like a brand new phone. I have only like 6 apps, so it's not going to take me long to start over. I want to anyhow since there might be better apps in the 2.1 market and better options available.

16. decalex

I do :) I use my call logs all the time to see when I had conversations with ppl... if I haven't written it down.

17. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Isn't it just typical that the damn Mybackuppro is no longer in the marketplace? I can't restore ANYTHING! If anyone has a copy, can you help me out?

18. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

some apps only work for certain versions of android, so they're not listed in the market when your version doesn't match. I think.

19. Parke1

Parke1 Member

That really stinks. I'm out like $20 now for two apps that I really used often, and now can't get them back on my Moment?!?

Great, just great.

20. Lizzrd

Lizzrd Well-Known Member

I keep hearing about this issue...is there another recommended 2.1 friendly backup app that I can start using before my update rolls around?

:confused:

21. kiddk1

kiddk1 Well-Known Member

deleted