• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help The Backup Question

Hi there, I have obviously been down this path before lol and this time I am pleased to say it worked. I changed my number to the same as yours [which I had in my list in event viewer] and it worked. I had to physically remove the phone from the dock, place it back in and then swith to 'Turn on USB storage' and the black window [taskeng.exe] came up, hovered around for a minute or so and disappeared. It didn't do anything as I haven't added anything to my sd since sorting this out.

In Desire 6.1a how do I select 'Turn to USB storage' as default?

Edit: okay I moved about 60 tracks onto the sdcard. Took the phone out of the dock, put it back in, switched to 'Turn on USB storage' and a black box appeared. Then the same black window appeared again, then both disappeared. Checked the folder on the C drive and the tracks hadn't been backed up.

Just did it again and same thing happened and this time I noticed when the black boxes disappeared the phone switched to just USB Connected not USB Storage.

When I clicked on the .bat file it copied some clockworkmod backups and the tracks I had just copied to the sdcard. The usb storage didn't switch off either. So the .bat file works if I click on it, but not when I put the phone in the dock.

We are getting there I think!! lol

Edit: tried again and this time it worked first time. I think it would help if the default setting was to go straight to USB Storage.

Upvote 0
Hi there, I have obviously been down this path before lol and this time I am pleased to say it worked. I changed my number to the same as yours [which I had in my list in event viewer] and it worked. I had to physically remove the phone from the dock, place it back in and then swith to 'Turn on USB storage' and the black window [taskeng.exe] came up, hovered around for a minute or so and disappeared. It didn't do anything as I haven't added anything to my sd since sorting this out.

In Desire 6.1a how do I select 'Turn to USB storage' as default?

Edit: okay I moved about 60 tracks onto the sdcard. Took the phone out of the dock, put it back in, switched to 'Turn on USB storage' and a black box appeared. Then the same black window appeared again, then both disappeared. Checked the folder on the C drive and the tracks hadn't been backed up.

Just did it again and same thing happened and this time I noticed when the black boxes disappeared the phone switched to just USB Connected not USB Storage.

When I clicked on the .bat file it copied some clockworkmod backups and the tracks I had just copied to the sdcard. The usb storage didn't switch off either. So the .bat file works if I click on it, but not when I put the phone in the dock.

We are getting there I think!! lol

Edit: tried again and this time it worked first time. I think it would help if the default setting was to go straight to USB Storage.

I use an app called automount

Upvote 0
I use an app called automount

Hi danfrance,

thanks for that. worked first time this morning though there were a couple of blips i.e. the cmd window opened when I switched my printer on, but nothing too worry about. It copied some stuff and then said it couldn't copy some things. If it happens again I will take a screen shot and send it to you.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Hi danfrance,

thanks for that. worked first time this morning though there were a couple of blips i.e. the cmd window opened when I switched my printer on, but nothing too worry about

Please feel free to call me Dan. or even Mr Dan ;)

If the printer also creates an e vent with ID 2101, unfortunately there is not much that can be done about that. Luckily task engine will not remain on screen for long.

Hi danfrance,

It copied some stuff and then said it couldn't copy some things. If it happens again I will take a screen shot and send it to you.

Yes please, not sure what the reason for that would be without it. Interesting though.

Upvote 0
there were a couple of blips i.e. the cmd window opened when I switched my printer on, but nothing too worry about.

Actually, you can hide the taskeng.exe window so it doesn't pop up.

All you need to do is in the general tab of the Task, Change the user account that runs the task from yours to another.

Then set it to "run whether user is logged on or not"

As the user running is different, it shouldn't show the taskeng window.

However, as I have not done this, I am unsure if it will show the cmd window for the xcopy.

Upvote 0
Please feel free to call me Dan. or even Mr Dan ;)

If the printer also creates an e vent with ID 2101, unfortunately there is not much that can be done about that. Luckily task engine will not remain on screen for long.

Yes please, not sure what the reason for that would be without it. Interesting though.

I think after all the help you have given me, and others, it should be Sir Dan :)

The automount app is great as before the pc didn't always recognise the phone when it was mounted, now it does and it does quickly.

There is no problem with the printer really, the cmd prompt can be minimised or it disappears quickly.

Your humble servant.

Upvote 0
SyncToy works really well and as for a trigger, this can be done via Task Manager and/or a log on/log off script. As automated as it gets.

So
trigger + script
Or
Trigger + app
Or
Script + app?

Much over muchness, but I would prefer not to have another app service running on my pc and prefer the native xcopy over any third party app

Upvote 0
It is up to you.
Basically you run Synctoy and set up the paths and sync type (Echo is probably sensible for backing up).
Then set up a task to...
Run a backup at a particular time
Not sure the relevance of using SyncToy as it doesn't come with your OS. It is a stable Microsoft app and much easier to configure than XCopy IMHO. Plus you can do a "trial" sync to see what is copied over.
All down to personal choice.

Upvote 0
True it is personal choice. Working in IT I prefer to run as little as possible to do what I want. I enjoy working at a command line level and pretty much completely avoids the windows shell so for me its ideal.

Xcopy is better than any native shell based copies and I imagine dos emulation is less reliant on windows services and processes than sync toy. Fewer dependencies

Upvote 0
The new 2.6.0 version of MyBackup will now support Photos.

Also, MyBackup Root just hit the Android MArket, which is a free download, you must have ROOT. And will backup AND RESTORE IN BATCH apk+data+market links, all FREE!

Thanks but the question is how to backup the SD card to PC, not how to back up the phone to SD card.

Upvote 0
Returning to this thread again as I have had to ditch windows 7 and return to windows xp.

Can anyone shine any light on how to run a batch file in xp as the instructions Dan gave are for Windows 7? The only thing I can do is double click on the file and it runs ok but would like it to run when I connect phone to pc.

If this can't be done are there any other solutions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones