• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Bah-Humbug thread!

To see people who normally wouldn't stop to give the time of day to a stranger treat them with kindness and respect. No matter who you are or why you do or do not enjoy Christmas, I for one will respect you when it is all over. Could you be so kind to do the same for me.
They should do it all year. Not just the holidays. World just might be a better place.

Upvote 0
The Christmas spirit to most is a blind, fanatical adherence to tradition regardless of the feelings of those around them. Gross consumerism and pretense are the rules of the day.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about many joyful and merry people during the holiday season is that they avoid the unhappy or less fortunate for fear they will ruin Christmas for them. And the lessons of the Christmas ideal of charity, forbearance, love and community shouldn't be just once a year or for a few days in December when there are lights on your house, but everyday. While I do recognize that some people do get it (and I know several) most put on the holiday hat for a few days and then go right back to being ... themselves.

It's just like going to church;)

Upvote 0
Some how I knew that this would end up in church :p

On a serious note I as a christian will extend my understanding of the church and the hurt that goes on with in the walls. So many times I have seen my fellow believers ruin what God designed. :( Makes me really hate the people in church. Then there is the whole congregation that has issues as well.
I am sure that as a fellow Christian, you have seen the damage that "church" can cause, and understand how some people would not look favorably on church, and what this "Christmas" holiday has come to represent, instead of the purity of celebration that was originally intended. As human beings, we sure know how to screw things up sometimes.:rolleyes:

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
I am sure that as a fellow Christian, you have seen the damage that "church" can cause, and understand how some people would not look favorably on church, and what this "Christmas" holiday has come to represent, instead of the purity of celebration that was originally intended. As human beings, we sure know how to screw things up sometimes.:rolleyes:

It's the only thing we know how to do really well:):beer:

Upvote 0
I enjoy the idea of what should be the holidays. What it actually is now doesn't suit me very well. I really enjoy seeing the smiles on my kids faces, but its for the wrong reason. They are still too young to understand no matter how many times I explain it.

My family see us after the day, rarely do we go home on Christmas day. It's a much more pleasurable experience for everyone to be themselves. Plus my old man is more relaxed. He's not much on gatherings of any sort. PTSD but from a different confrontation.

I see more folks travel and get hurt on the highways for these holidays. Why not travel to see your loved ones when the weather is better suited for said travel? Why have a societal tradition dictate to you when you should and how you show your familial affection?

I can't wait to be home with my wife and kids. :)

Upvote 0
I'm used to it. Nobody invites Scrooge to the Christmas party.

We were discussing shows we haven't seen in a while [and i don't mean the Donnie and Marie Christmas Special] and we came around to a movie i think was called "The Gift". About a poor couple in love who sacrificed their most prized possession to give the other what they wanted. The guy sold his family heirloom watch [his father's i believe] to buy fancy hair combs for his girlfriend who had long luxurious hair. The girl sold her hair to buy him a watch chain. Something like that. Anyway the point was about sacrificing all you value for the sake of someone else's happiness. I don't believe that most people could or would do that, no matter how honorable and beautiful they think the sentiment is. Then there is the story of the grinch, who finds that Christmas isn't about presents. Tell me, how many families do you know that would on Christmas morning sing out joyous songs if their trees and packages were gone? Not many. And then there is good old Ebeneezer. I think most people find Scrooge's qualities admirable while Bob Cratchett is foolhardy and unrealistic. For example ...

1. When faced with adversity are you more likely to smile at your good fortunes in other areas and propose a toast to your employer? Or, would you feel sorry for yourself and blame others?

2. If you are asked by strangers to contribute to a charity you have never heard about, would you give them money or decline the solicitation?

3. If the company for which you worked was dissolving due to mismanagement and you had the opportunity to use your own funds to return it to a thriving condition under your control, would that be a sound investment or a heartless act?

4. If your spouse cursed your employer because you were not earning more, would you agree with him/her or would you defend your employer?

5. If a group of children gathered at the entrance of your business to sing for money, would you pay them? would you politely ask them to move because they are blocking the door? Would you call the police?

Anyway, If people want to celebrate the commercial, that's fine, but don't do it in the guise peace and love and the birth of Jesus. And, don't chastise those who for whatever reason don't get much joy out of the season.

Upvote 0
Thats the thing Christmas has become fake. It's not about the things that its supposed to be about and really it should be a reminder of how we are to treat people the rest of the year and not just during the "Holidays" We should use the holidays to celebrate how we've treated each other over the year and not how we should have treated them over the year.

Upvote 0
I'm about as atheist as they come (not a topic for this discussion ;)), but I love the "holiday" season. :)
It's a great time to see the family. Does it come loaded with tons of stress? YES!
Wife and I don't exchange gifts, just doesn't work for us (plus we're trying to save $$$).
I've resigned to only getting a couple things for my folks but nothing for the siblings. We sent out some really cool cards that really represent our sense of humor. :D
Have to say, the local stores are crazy jammed now. People are freaking out trying to make sure they get the right gifts. I say just enjoy the family, friends and company and all will be right with the world. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones