The Behold II and ext4???

Last Updated:

1. lych

lych Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know if the Behold II supports ext4 partitions? I was thinking of upgrading my ext3 app2sd to ext4 but I wanted to make sure that the phone supported it first.

Advertisement
  2. lych

lych Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Since no one has responded, I thought I would add what I found out about ext4 support in the Behold II [BH2]. According to the source code, It seems that the BH2's kernel does indeed have support for ext4; however, I was unable to verify that Samsung actually compiled their kernel with ext4 support.

Back in the old day, before Cyanogen and Amon_Ra's recovery, to upgrade an ext3 partition to ext4, this was all that was needed:
    Code (Text):
    2. tune2fs -O extents,uninit_bg,dir_index /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    3. e2fsck -fpDC0 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    When I ran those commands in recovery mode via adb, tune2fs refused to run because of a missing mtab file (meaning tune2fs couldn't verify that mmcblk0p2 was mounted or not). I could be that I needed to use a newer version of tune2fs (but I'm too lazy to compile it myself). Whatever I tried, tune2fs wouldn't run. I actually had to use Acronis Disk Director to upgrade from ext2 to ext3 as I ran into the same problem before btw. I decided to give up and just use ext3 for app2sd. It works well and the slow down isn't really noticeable. Plus I like the added bonus of the journal.

The moral of the story: When buying a phone, make sure there is an actively developed ROM for it (like Cyanogenmod). Otherwise, forget about hacking it.

baramov likes this.