The Benefits of a Rooted Incredible?

Last Updated:

1. AppsRUs

AppsRUs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

High everyone.

I'm wondering what are the benefits of having a rooted DI? I'm unfamiliar with the process (though willing to learn), but after I have it rooted, what can I do with it?

Advertisement
  2. ZXMustang

ZXMustang Well-Known Member

Load custom ROMS(software), overclock and be cooler than the guy with the "stock" Inc.

3. crimton

crimton Well-Known Member

this question has been answered many times in this forum but basically you can wireless tether for free, have more control over your phone, customize the hell out of it with custom roms,themes,kernels. you can overclock or underclock the cpu and the list goes on.

agarygirl likes this.
  4. AppsRUs

AppsRUs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hrm.

Sounds like fun. Very well then. I may end up attempting to do this over the weekend then. Thanks!

5. PokerMunkee

PokerMunkee Active Member

Being able to use OpenVPN and remote into my work computer is pretty cool and handy as well.

6. 06Stang

06Stang Well-Known Member

what app can you use to OC the DInc? Or is it preloaded in the ROM

7. Asterdroid

Asterdroid Well-Known Member

SetCPU can do it, but you're better off loading one of the hydra kernels.

8. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

i loaded a hydra kernal. but don't I still need setCPU to actually set the clock speed? before I had the hydra kernal, I could only go up to like 998MHz. after I loaded the kernal, I could go to 1152MHz.

9. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

What really comes in handy as well, is being able to UNDERclock your phone when it's in sleep mode (screen off). It at best helped compensate the more power consumed from overclocking. But I def have better battery usage on my Droid b/c of it.

10. smurfe

smurfe Well-Known Member

I am leaning toward rooting, The most important thing for me would be the free wireless tether. I am a newb to Android and just got my phone yesterday. I read all the posts about the 2.2 update will have the wireless tether in it, but will that be locked to where you have to subscribe to use it? Also, when you do root, is it wiped out by OTA updates or just when a whole new operating system comes out? Is 2.2 a whole new OS or just updates? I am coming from iPhone where you had to decline all updates until the Jailbreak community would develop a ROM and then go forward.

I'll read more about this. I will probably lean toward Root. My iPhone was always jailbroke. Damn this Dinc out the box smokes the iPhone though. I had the 3G but my partner at work has the 4G. When she sees this tonight she is gonna have some envy. She hasn't been real wowed by the new iPhone. Her BF returned his last week and says he really wants an Android but is stuck in his contract at AT&T. I still had a contract there to but I am going to change the number on my old iPhone and give it to my youngest daughter and just shut the home landline off as we never use it.