The Best 2.2 ROM, In YOUR opinion

Last Updated:

1. Brettus

Brettus Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am a slightly more than noobish "rooter", but with the recent announcement that the Droid is "incapable" of Wifi tethering - I have decided to go ahead and use a rooted 2.2 ROM.

I plan on following the instructions over at Droid-Life.com, found here : How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

However, I want to get your expert opinions on which ROM is the best of them all. Since the 2.2 ROMS have been released, I have seen many different ones, and a few of them have had some problems - so which is best?

Also, can someone explain to me what the difference is between a Kernel and a ROM? Is the kernel not included in the ROM? I would reference my small understanding (or lack thereof, pending my explanation) of Linux, in that - when you install a different version of Linux or Unix, you are installing a "ROM" of sorts, but the kernel comes with the distribution you are installing. Same concept? Am I wetodded?

Advertisement
  2. Brettus

Brettus Active Member This Topic's Starter

Oh POOP, I haven't been here in a while and just saw there was a ROMS sub-forum. Mods feel free to move this post. I would if I could.

3. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Enjoying Chevy's 4.5 with P3's new temp kernel at the moment. waiting to see if and when Pete releases 05.

Very happy with this setup.

4. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Well-Known Member

check out my sig, i couldnt be any happer :D

im also using ChevyNo1's latest LV Froyo Kernels

5. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Check out the ROM forum. We have a rating system up and running. Though it's fairly new, it should give you a good idea (and a decent number of reviews) of which ROM's are more popular and better rated by the community.

I've used a LOT of ROM's since this phone was rooted. Since we've had 2.2, the best ROM I've used - overall - has been the new Lithium release by JRummy. I did install Chevy's new SS 4.6 tonight, and so far it's impressing me even more than Lithium, but until I have time to fully test it I don't want to make any premature decisions. For now, if you need something feature-packed, stable and fast, I think Lithium is your best option. It also has a metric shit ton of theme choices already meticulously packed into different the various install files, so you can choose your look without worry of compatibility issues.

The ROM is the actual feature set, basically, whereas the kernel is more of a tool that allows the software (the ROM) to communicate with the hardware. Kernels make a BIG difference in performance, battery life and more, but the ROM packs in all the features and themes that people enjoy. It's important to find a good balance between a ROM with features you like and a kernel that performs well on your phone. This is usually best done by trial and error, but all of the kernels currently available have something going for them. Personally I recommend Chevy's, followed by jdflg's kernels. Others swear by P3's, which have never worked well on my phone, and Jake's, which I've tried and seem to have through the roof performance but some odd bugs.

As a side note, all ROMs do come with a built in kernel, so there's no need to explicitly install a separate one, but most ROMs include a basic kernel set at a lower maximum processor speed, so most people upgrade to kernels with more features and more overclocking options.

glitch32 and UBRocked like this.