• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The best car mount for Galaxy S5 - still Arkon Mobile Grip 2

twister6

Android Expert
Jul 30, 2010
As most of you know, I write hundreds of various reviews in General Accessories section of our forum/community (check out the link in my signature), thus I typically being asked questions about what I found to be the best for a specific phone model or specific functionality. One question that always comes up, especially in PMs, what is the best car mount for a specific phone X or Y. I personally believe that car mount should be universal to use with any phone and any case, and with full access to all the ports, and mount option to work on a windshield or a dashboard.

With over a dozen of car mounts I reviewed recently, I have to admit Arkon Mobile Grip 2 (Arkon Mobile Grip 2 - Universal Cell Phone Mount Smartphone Mount Car Holder for iPhone Android Phones) is still my top choice, currently for $19.95 including shipping on Amazon (Amazon.com: ARKON Arkon Windshield or Dashboard Sticky Suction Car Mount for iPhone 5 iPhone 5C 5S Samsung Galaxy S5 Note 3 Nexus 5 Smartphones - Car Mounts - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories). Though I have reviewed it already with my Note 2 (http://androidforums.com/android-ac...iversal-smartphone-car-mount-w-lots-pics.html), some ask me how does it look with S5. Now after getting Galaxy S5, I've been using MG2 in my wife's Highlander and still find it to be the best car mount for the phone.

It's sticky suction base mount adhesive is as strong as a cement attached to any glass or textured dashboard; works even on a slightly curved surface. The removal is clean and doesn't leave any residue, plus it's re-usable - just rinse under a water if it starts to loose it's sticky grip. The mount arm accommodates different angles with an easy adjustment, and universal ball joint allows full 360 degree rotation. The spring loaded grip is very secure and easy to operate with one hand, and its minimalistic design keeps the back of S5 open to use even as dashcam. Obviously, there is full access to all the ports for charging, headphone/audio cable, and power/volume buttons. As a bonus, MG2 also has a screw mount for universal camera tripod attachment (love it!). Also important to note that it comes with 2-year warranty, and from my experience Arkon guys stand behind their product to take care of you even after warranty expires.

Since I know pictures worth a thousand words, here you go for your enjoyment (with more pictures you can find in my Note 2/MG2 review above).

arkon_mg2_s5-01_zpsa45ef271.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-02_zps0419d0c0.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-03_zpsff57bc9b.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-04_zpsb0832261.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-05_zps3e3c296c.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-06_zpsb369bf52.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-07_zpsa426199f.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-08_zps591105d2.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-09_zps561cf7b4.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-10_zpsbdc2c6e7.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-11_zps12f3e9ec.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-12_zpsbeb07e5a.jpg

arkon_mg2_s5-13_zpsd79af415.jpg

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones