jonathan76888 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    vss123 likes this.
  2. onilink

onilink Active Member

very fair review

3. InkedMuscle

InkedMuscle Active Member

When he tweeted about this video earlier today I was shocked.. couldn't believe he actually did a good review without taking the easy way out and just saying it was a toss up or even outcome..

4. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Woah! Looks like I'll be a regular visitor to Techno Buffalo. I do think Battery Life should be with the iPhone, but other than that, I think his test seems to be fair. :)

5. clashcity74

clashcity74 New Member

Great video review, but the price for device comparison was a bit skewed.

He says $299 for 32GB iPhone 4 vs $199 EVO 4G + $200 32GB SD = $400

You can find an 32GB SD for 100-130 so its kind of a wash.

Granted you have to actually go out, buy the card and install it... but whatever I don't think it's $299 vs $400.

6. ballr4lyf

ballr4lyf Well-Known Member

BRAVO!!! Finally! An objective review, without letting the bias get through... Not like the Chris Pirrilo farse.

7. Mixelplux

Mixelplux Active Member

hmm.. I think iphone camera still far superior coming from a EVO user

8. Falcon91Wolvrn03

Falcon91Wolvrn03 New Member

Here are a few other observations I made when I brought my EVO 4G to an Apple Store today to compare them:

SCREEN: Is the bigger screen size on the EVO better, or the higher resolution on the iPhone? Before comparing them, I would have agreed with the reviewer above that the iPhone wins with a higher resolution on a smaller screen. Holding the two phones side by side, it was a difficult call. I could read things better on the EVO because the text was larger due to the larger screen size (50% more area). But the iPhone screen did look nicer as it was brighter and crisper. Initial winner – iPhone. But then I checked the screen settings on both phones. My EVO was set to adjust its brightness based on ambient light. The iPhones on display in the Apple Store, on the other hand, were all locked into a battery draining bright setting (the iPhones were all docked so power wasn’t a problem). I adjusted my EVO to lock it into a bright setting as well (for an apples to apples comparison), and WOW, what a difference that made! The EVO’s screen was on par with the iPhone, but much easier to read due to its larger size. I couldn’t discern a difference in pixel size. Try this yourselves and reply if you notice a difference in resolution or not.

Edit #4: Here is a great comparison of EVO's screen vs iPhone 4: http://www.cultofmac.com/comparison-iphone-4-retina-display-vs-htc-evo-4g-amoled/46170. Imagine the EVO in this picture with the brightness turned up to match the iPhone and/or a different wallpaper, and all the fingerprint smudges removed (the link is from a Mac website).

Surprise screen winner - EVO

INTERNET – Which phone surfs the internet better? I visited several websites to compare. One difference that I noticed right away is that the EVO offered autocomplete recommendations of everything I typed including text in google searches and website names, making it much faster to use by tapping the recommended word/website rather than typing the full text to completion. However, the iPhone loaded pages faster, which was a surprise because everything I read said EVO was the faster phone. Then I checked the settings of the iPhone and realized that it was using their in store Apple WIFI service rather than AT&T, so I adjusted my EVO to do the same. Now the EVO was faster. To be sure, I visited a website that measures download speeds (Speakeasy). However, I got an error message on the iPhone, saying it needed a browser that supported Flash. Same problem on the 2nd website (bandwidthplace). The 3rd website didn’t require Flash (CNET), and so I ran a speed comparison. 1.5Mbps on iPhone 4, 3.1Mbps on EVO 4G. I ran the test several times, and got similar results. That’s a surprising difference considering both phones were using the same WIFI signal! But that's consistent with the WIFI test the guy did in the video above.

Internet Winner – EVO
    Edit #2: My EVO got over 13Mbps download speed through my Comcast WIFI signal at home! (as measured through the Speakeasy website)

PHOTO/VIDEO – I tried to do a controlled comparson by holding both phones side by side and shooting identical subjects at the same time. The first thing I noticed is that the iPhone gives wider angle photos and videos than the EVO, while the EVO appears more standard. I don't know if that's good or bad for either phone, but all other things being equal, a more zoomed out shot for iPhone has the potential to be less grainy. It'd be interesting to compare photos at the same zoom level. The next thing I noticed is that the EVO is much quicker to take photos and videos than the iPhone. The EVO snapped a picture in less than a second, while the iPhone took about 2 seconds after pressing the shutter to actually shoot the picture. I managed to take sevaral photos and videos in the store and tried to e-mail them to myself from the iPhone 4 to compare them, but the e-mail application wasn’t set up on the iPhones in the store (understandably). So I sent them to myself via MMS instead. However, MMS shrunk both the photos and videos down to a small size, so a comparison would have been unfair.

Photo/Video Winner – Undetermined; needs further testing. However, I liked the faster responsiveness of the EVO.
    Edit #3: Here is the best photo/video comparison I've seen to date: http://www.droiddog.com/android-blog/2010/06/evo-vs-iphone-photos-videos/
    EVO 4G appears to win on photos, but iPhone 4 appears to win on video/sound.

Edit #1: Engadget has another excellent, reasonably unbiased review: http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/25/iphone-4-or-evo-4g-which-one-should-you-get/

vss123 likes this.