The best way to discover a new App

Last Updated:

1. droid77mi

droid77mi Member

Hey Everybody,
    I'm the developer of an App that helps you discover other Apps.
    I'm interested in learning in what way you currently find or discover a new App?
    Through friends? On social networks? Do you search on Google Play? Do you search on Google?

I also prepare a survey and if you want to take it I will post the results in this thread.

App Discovery Survey

I personally use Best Apps Market (the app I develop) and I read Android forums. What do you use?

2. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

I go to Google Play, and also look here for people's suggestions. I took your survey, hope it helps out.
  3. droid77mi

droid77mi Member

Thanks! Do you have friends with an Android phone? Do they ever recommend you apps to install and do you recommend them good apps that you find? Would you like to have an app to connect with your friends and see what app they are installing?
  4. Parshooter

Parshooter Well-Known Member

I just got my phone a few weeks ago and really haven't talked much about apps with friends. I wouldn't use an app to see what apps they are using/installing since I could just talk/text/email them about it.
  5. roytheodd

roytheodd Member

I use the desktop version of Google Play to discover and install new apps. I also do Google searches for sites that list Top X Apps of the Year or Best X Apps for Android. And, of course, I lurk here.
  6. mikewb

mikewb Member

I would not share the apps that I am installing and would not want to know what my friends have installed. Otherwise, I like the concept of Best Apps to learn about apps that I may not be familiar with.
  7. pawn

pawn Member

Interestingly enough, I just found your app using an application I wrote that finds apps meant to find new apps and I'm looking for the best way to make sure my app is visible to apps that are meant to find apps that find apps that are meant to find new apps. Any suggestions?
  8. droid77mi

droid77mi Member

Funny, do you mean that there is no need for an App for finding Apps?
    I think apps discovery is facing 2 issues:
    - Google Play is promoting too many paid apps and people is looking for free apps
    - Most of the people download the same apps, it's hard to get to the smaller apps

The Apps Market is already as vary as the Web: there are apps for sailors, apps for hiking, apps for looking at the stars, games for 3 years old kids and social games for math lovers. I believe most of the people with and Android phone have not yet found a use for it other than sending SMS and using Google Maps (and playing Angry Birds).
  9. droid77mi

droid77mi Member

Thanks, I see that a lot too. Please is moving to Google Play on their web browser instead of the Play Store Market App. So is a website and not an Android app that people is looking for?
    I'm also working on a Visual Search Engine for Android.
  10. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

I usually hear about it here or some forum, copy the name, go to appbrain, paste it in their search field and go.

I seldom find anything worthwhile on their Recommend for You lists and Google just uses a dartboard to come up with suggestions.